What charcoal are you using?

RO lump, and RO briqs. I used to use Stubbs briqs, but the last time I used them, they were awful. Maybe a bad batch... I dunno.

My local Lowe's had a sale on Char Broil Centercut Lump. It was marked down to $9.95 for a box. Tried it out and was pretty happy with it so I went back and bought a few more boxes. Nice size consistency compared to the Cowboy. Kinda bummed they don't stock anymore, especially at that price.

Kingsford Blue Bag when direct cooking on the grill, because that's what I learned on and it's consistent for me. RO lump to get smoker up to temp and build coal bed, then back to RO lump after I wrap, or after meat gets to about 160 internal (saves cash on wood). Lump gets hotter, so you use less and it creates less ash in your firebox for easier cleanup and more consistent airflow on long cooks.

I have been using Jealous Devil for the last few months. It is made with "Axe Breaker" wood from South America. Good size for both grilling and smoking in the egg and burns hot and long to help the stick burner get going. They send me a 37 lbs bag each month shipped for around $40.

Kingsford Blue Bag on a Weber Kettle 90% of the time. It is an extremely consistent product for my needs. Other times I will use some Royal Oak lump for steaks, or once in a while I will burn a bag of Stubbs or Kingsford Professional to see how the other side lives. All are good products when used properly. What it comes down to for me is availability and consistency. I have access to kettles all through my travel areas and I like to know that if I have a kettle. some KBB, and a few chunks of smoking wood, I can cook about anything wherever I am.

I currently have KBB, RO lump and char-boil center cut lump on hand; all of which were purchased during a sale and I loaded up. I've also tried stubbs, coshell, frontier lump. For the right price, I would like to use coshell but have only seen it once locally.

B&B Hickory Lump ... I've had great success using this to get a bed of coals and then from there I just use sticks of pecan.

Fogo for the high heat or long low and slow on the Egg". Rockwood for the rest. Kingsford, even cowboy amongst other on the Weber kettle.

prefer royal oak lump and stubbs briq's, however i mostly use KBB because i can buy it cheap at the fall and spring sales in bulk.

I use Kingsford Blue. My dad used it when I was a kid, then I stopped using Charcoal for most of my adult life (damn apt and townhouse living), and now I have my own backyard, I am back to what had always worked. Kingsford Blue

Current stock includes RO Lump, Pitmaster Lump, Stubbs briqs, Cowboy Lump, Mali Lump, Coshell briqs, Trader Joe's briqs.

The Old Country Pecos never sees charcoal, light my fires with kindling and newspaper.

In my Kamado Joe's I use Fogo Super Premium and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.

Back