• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mak Maiden cook

Av8er

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This weekend is going to by the maiden cook on my new Mak and was lloking for more ideas. I am kinda tired of doing the same ribs, but, tri tip, corned beef over and over and want something different. I am going to do a fatty at some point this weekend, I have two pork tenderloins to do and a pecan pie to bake but looking for something else as well. I am half thinking of smoked meatloaf but throw your ideas at me. Thanks in advance.

I’ve got nothing original for you. I like ribs to test a cooker out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your new MAK! I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do mine! It's pretty tough to beat chicken on your smoker. I cooked some chicken thighs the other night - set the MAK at 200 and put the thighs, rubbed with Oakridge's Secret Weapon, on. Left them at 200 until they reached 120 and then raised the temperature to 350. Pulled them off the grill at 175 IT. Smoky, juicy, tender goodness!

Counterpoint: Why not do your favorite, tried and true meat on the new Mak? That way you will see, or not, any differences your new smoker brings to the party.

Minor dressing down: A fatty is an essential component of any pit experience. Never, ever, fire up a cooker and not smoke a fatty.

Beef ribs all the way

I wish, those are hard to come by for some reason in my neck of the woods.

Congratulations on your new MAK! I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do mine! It's pretty tough to beat chicken on your smoker. I cooked some chicken thighs the other night - set the MAK at 200 and put the thighs, rubbed with Oakridge's Secret Weapon, on. Left them at 200 until they reached 120 and then raised the temperature to 350. Pulled them off the grill at 175 IT. Smoky, juicy, tender goodness!

Thanks, I am sure I will. As far as chicken, I may give that a go at some point but my go to for chicken is my weber with the vortex. Love me some chicken wings cooked on it. I did a turkey for the first time in my PBC for Thanksgiving and it was delicious.

Counterpoint: Why not do your favorite, tried and true meat on the new Mak? That way you will see, or not, any differences your new smoker brings to the party.

Minor dressing down: A fatty is an essential component of any pit experience. Never, ever, fire up a cooker and not smoke a fatty.

That's actually not a bad idea. I might get some St. Louis Spares at Costco and give them a try.

Thanks everyone!

One thing I noticed is when on smoke setting this thing produces alot more smoke than a traeger I had in the past.

One thing I noticed is when on smoke setting this thing produces alot more smoke than a traeger I had in the past.

Yep, MAK’s are kinda known for their smoke output. I’ve been cooking on MAK’s for 3 years now, and there’s still times I look in the backyard during a cook and find myself mesmerized by what I am seeing :)

In my opinion, start with whatever sounds good (whatcha in the mood for?)! Your MAK’s not gonna wear out anytime soon... there will be LOTS of time to try it all :)

A little off topic, but in the summer, we use our MAK as our primary oven. It keeps the heat out of the house, works amazingly well as an oven and adds something special to pretty much everything we bake. That’s one of the things I love about pellet grills. Most people don’t want to eat BBQ everyday of the week. With a pellet grill you can really mix things up when you look at it as a wood fired oven. And to top that, it you have or get the Funnel Flame zone, you’ll have yourself a fantastic everyday grill as well :)

Try a spacthcocked chicken. I thought I had made chicken as good as it could get, with my BJ. I don't know what is special between a pellet grill and chicken but I made a spacthcocked bird on my new Timberline 1300 and it was, without a doubt, the best chicken I have ever made.

When you say corn beef do you mean if not make pastrami I like that on my Egg How about pulled chuck and make pepper stout beef

Yes, pastrami. Never had pulled chuck before or pepper stout beef. Might have to give that a try.

So do most of you Mak owners foil the drip pan? I did this in my Traeger and it made clean up easy.

I like to cook on the top rack with a foiled baking pan underneath on the bottom rack unless using the flame zone, if I'm using the FZ I foil it. Been through almost 600lbs of pellets and the grease drawer other than ash it is almost spotless, makes for easy cleanup.

Do an 8 day smokefest like I did to see how it performs!
Fatty
Ribs
Chicken
Hamburgers grilled
Pork shoulder
Pecan pies
Turkey
Prime rib

Still haven’t done a brisket yet but that will happen soon...hope you like the smoke flavor. Interested to hear your thoughts!

That sounds like fun but unfortunately work gets in the way of that.

So I went to Costco and the kids were begging for ribs. I bought some St. Louis spares, a couple chickens a pork loin to take to work, a beef chuck roast, Mac and cheese and couple other things my wife threw in the buggy. I guess since they all wanted ribs I will do the ribs first. How is everyone doing their spares. Are you using the smoke setting at all? Going straight to 250-275? I am for sure going to wrap them a couple hours in.

So I went to Costco and the kids were begging for ribs. I bought some St. Louis spares, a couple chickens a pork loin to take to work, a beef chuck roast, Mac and cheese and couple other things my wife threw in the buggy. I guess since they all wanted ribs I will do the ribs first. How is everyone doing their spares. Are you using the smoke setting at all? Going straight to 250-275? I am for sure going to wrap them a couple hours in.

I cook St Louis spares quite often. My preference is to keep it simple. 210° (this puts the top grate at around 235°) the entire time. I cook them on the top grate with a drip pan or foil underneath to catch the drippings. At the 2.5 hour mark, I start spritzing every 30-45 mins with 50/50 apple juice/ACV. They take about 6.5-7 hours this way. I often glaze during the last hour. I never wrap in foil as I much prefer the tighter/smokier bark.
a969c7dceb7b1923ca965d76efeda8e3.jpg

Back