MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #16
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I prefer the comfort and feel of my 4" Rapala soft grip fillet knife. Vs the many paring knifes I have. For peeling, precision carving etc. But I also do alot of filleting and thin slicing. Most paring knifes don't have finger stops.
Just a thought.
https://www.amazon.com/Rapala4-Fille...0G1HTS7EV47NXV
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 06:13 AM   #17
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

This is a small company that I never see get much publication but they do make some nice knives. They started with the idea that a knife handle should fit you hand and built from there. Here is a nice reasonably price paring knife. I own some of their factory seconds and like them. I never could find the blemish. Of course as said above, you can't go wrong with the Victrinox or Dexter Russell.

https://www.ergochef.com/michael-sym...ring-knife.php

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #18
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB52 View Post
I totally "get" the beauty of knives and the craftsmanship that goes into them, but as this link shows, I'm all about utility. I go cheap on all my knives now, and sharpen them with my WorkSharp as necessary. End of the day it is a tool for me, and I don't need beauty in a tool, just effectiveness.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #19
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Paring knives are usually used for softer foods like vegetables, but be be used for other small tasks. They do have a multitude of uses, completely versatile, but because of their size they normally don't see heavy use even in a commercial kitchen.

I use Wusthoff, they hold a great edge because the metal is very hard; but I'm puzzled why you are against hollow-ground? When maintaining an edge on a knife you are only changing microns on the knife's edge, not reshaping the entire blade. The harder the steel the better it will hold the edge over time. You only need to maintain the existing edge, usually just a quick brush on the steel in between uses keeps the edges aligned

If you are seeing heavy use for vegetables you may want to look at one of the Asian specialty knives like a Deba 4' Utility, a Usaba or a Nakari. Although they are specialty knives they can be magic in your hands when used for the proper tasks.
Everything I’ve ever seen or heard is that a Hollow Grind edge should be sharpened on a wheel (as close to the radius size of the edge as possible).

I use an EdgePro Apex - flat stones.

Last edited by SoCalWJS; 12-16-2018 at 10:36 AM..
SoCalWJS is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #20
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Everything I’ve ever seen or heard is that a Hollow Grind edge should be sharpened on a wheel (as close to the radius size of the edge as possible).

I use an EdgePro Apex - flat stones.
It is doubtful that you will find a hollow ground blade that doesn't have a secondary bevel. That secondary edge will likely be flat ground. Even if it isn't, it would be by the time I spend a few minutes on it.

Sharpening a hollow grind should be, and usually is, no different than sharpening a flat grind.

If you start off with a flat grind, you could always put a convex edge on the secondary. That is what you get when you use a loose sanding belt such as with a Work Sharp. Many people specifically like convex cutting edges...I'm ok with a convex or flat grind myself. At work I use a Work Sharp & by design I end up with convex edges. At home I use a Wicked Edge & get all flat grinds (unless I go through the process of forcing a convex edge...which I don't).

The cutting edges (secondary bevels) of all my knives get reprofiled to what I want...so it doesn't really matter to me how I purchase them to begin with.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #21
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTORINOX-...wAAOSwW8Ra-VvV

Had this for a number of years, love it. It has a large handle, perfect if you happen to have large hands.

Last edited by ironmanerik; 12-16-2018 at 06:50 PM..
ironmanerik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #22
stckciv
Knows what a fatty is.

I have this Tojiro and love it. https://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojir...UaAlurEALw_wcB
stckciv is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #23
Seefyre
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Chris

Hands down get one that fits your hand. Fine work like this will benefit from a comfy handle.

Sharpening is somewhat insignificant in that you touch up the blade briefly before returning it to the block so you're never dealing with trying to resharpen a dull blade.

My .02

Old 12-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #24
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stckciv View Post
Small petty knives like that make great parers. Tojiro may be on the lower end of fine Japanese knife making companies, but they are a great way to get into it...I have some!

The biggest issue with Japanese steel is that most folks ruin them the first time they try to sharpen the edge. They turn them into every other knife they have in the drawer...if they don't take the care to sharpen them to their original angles or polish the edge as they should be.

VG-10 is good steel...and popular with many higher end knife makers these days. My Tojiro knives are cored with R2 powdered steel.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #25
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
I recently bought a couple of Dalstrong knives. I got the Gladiator series because I didn't want to spend the monies for the Shogun line. I think they are pretty nifty.

I also recently got a Dalstrong (Gladiator series Nakiri)
I must say, for the price I’m impressed. Compares favorably to my Henkel’s four star set.

VR,
Harold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #26
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

This was onsale on Amazon last month. 24$. I couldn't pass it up. It's a great little knife, both in looks and utility.

SHUN
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #27
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

For $10 i got one of these and am fairly impressed with it.. Granted i dont use it much.

https://www.surlatable.com/product/P...xoCnvIQAvD_BwE

I think i could probably use a little thicker blade, but overall im pretty happy w/ it.

rb

Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #28
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

One thing I do when choosing a paring knife is try it in the positions I'll be using it. I used to prep a lot of veggie trays for banquets, and a comfortable handle when making 100's of carrot sticks makes a lot of difference, plus there is less chance of cutting yourself.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #29
Smoking Piney
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I prefer the comfort and feel of my 4" Rapala soft grip fillet knife. Vs the many paring knifes I have. For peeling, precision carving etc. But I also do alot of filleting and thin slicing. Most paring knifes don't have finger stops.
Between my wife and I, my paring knives take some abuse......cough.......wife.

I have a couple of Wusthofs for years now that soldier on with resharpening.

For every day meat trimming, I really like the Rapalas. They're tough, razor sharp, and if you beat the snot out of them, they're not painful to replace. They are my go-to BBQ trimming knives.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->