• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Face Bacon

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I recently bought a 330 lb Berkshire pig and had room for everything except the head. The friend I bought it from said he would hold the head for me until I was ready. Heads eat up a lot of freezer space so I took it from him as soon as I would have time to mess with it. I had not done the old face bacon thing in a while so I figured what the fark.......and also figured it was time for a new post on the subject. :biggrin1:

Pondering the process for a bit. LOL

DA7m7V5.jpg

I usually start from the back side of the head but it was still a bit frozen, so went with plan B. Stood it up and made a slit down the chin and started working back from there.

tIks3FJ.jpg

Worked down through the jowls and just kind of followed the bone. I wasn't worried about getting too close as I was going to use the head/meat for something else anyhow.

vbhDCvQ.jpg

Came down each site towards the snout.

3nzaN2Y.jpg

Wound up with this......

wlYUf90.jpg

Trimmed and cleaned it up bit more and hit it with a simple cure of sea salt, brown sugar, and cure #1.

wvGylP0.jpg

Bagged that up and into the fridge for a week. Out of the cure and into the smoker for a little cold smoke.

ZBPtF82.jpg

Out of the smoke and tied up for some quality sous vide time.

R4o8Qhr.jpg

Poured a little bourbon in with it and into the sous vide at 160 for 12 hours. Colored up nicely in the bath.

eb3ZNB6.jpg

Ice bath and a fresh bag and into the fridge. Came out much prettier than it started out.

7PmswT6.jpg

Finally time to crack this thing open and see how she looked.

GIXzrsw.jpg

Broke it down into manageable chunks to wrap and freeze. Have 9 1/2 pounds of this stuff.

Kr6No49.jpg

Slice a few pieces off, ate a couple and tossed a couple in the oven to see how it cooked up while clean up was under way.

wL1ldT2.jpg

Looks suspiciously like bacon. :biggrin1:

Fun little project and I like being able to use up all of the pig. With 9 1/2 pounds of it, I think I am set for a bit. Next head it will be back to guanciale. :becky:

WOW, double tapped the critter. one twixt the eyes and one in dang ear...
Oh and the process is ugly, would make a good Halloween movie.
Ed

Oh my god, that looks great. How did it taste? Were you happy with how it came out?

Thanks. It tastes like a ham/bacon hybrid. It is good. I have done it a few times before so I knew what to expect.

I was happy with it. I had not done a head this big before like this, I should have let it go a bit longer in the sous vide to let the skin breakdown a bit more. It is good though, but that would be the critique.

WOW, double tapped the critter. one twixt the eyes and one in dang ear...
Oh and the process is ugly, would make a good Halloween movie.
Ed

LOL I think the ear hole was from a tag.

Anyhow, yeah the process isn't for the squeamish I suppose, but at the end of the day it is just meat and bones.

Very cool Joe!

I get Berkshire too, a really good breed.

Awesome as always. Love your offal posts! I wish I had a head guy! You should have worn that skinned head and snuck up on someone.[/QUOTE

Thanks. When my kids were little, I had a big piece of skin off a belly and cut some eye holes in it and chased them around the house. Good times.

You think this is how Boar's Head meats got their name?? If not, maybe you should file a claim and sue for false advertising....tell them YOU will show them some Boar's Head!!

I keep looking for an excuse to tell my wife that I need to get a whole hog and cook it.
Luckily, she is out of town, so I'm not tempted to show her this.

Back