• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need a good recipe for Pastrami

B

BobF

I have seen several discuss making Pastrami from a corned beef. I would to try that. Anyone have a good recipe to share?

Open the corned beef
Soak in cold water, at least four hours (0ver night even)
Replace water every 30 minutes
(You can add potatoes to absorb the salt,if you'd like)

After soaking, season with pepper and/or your favorite rub.

Smoke it at 225 degrees until about 145 degrees.

Remove from smoker and eat.

traditionally Pastrami is smoked with Hickory. I like hickory mixed with cherry.

"(You can add potatoes to absorb the salt,if you'd like)"

Nice Tip!

Open the corned beef
Soak in cold water, at least four hours (0ver night even)
Replace water every 30 minutes
(You can add potatoes to absorb the salt,if you'd like)

After soaking, season with pepper and/or your favorite rub.

Smoke it at 225 degrees until about 145 degrees.

Remove from smoker and eat.

Thanks trp1fox. KISS just what I need. (no comments needed thats Keep it simple stupid).

OK, pastrami went on at noon fat side down. Therm is set to go off at 165 internal. Drum temp is running a little high at the moment, should be down in 10 minutes. About 250 on drum therm (SpiceWine at 9" below top, about 1" below bottom grate or 7 below cooking grate today.
Mostly followed ThirdEye's recipe. Added a little oregano to the rub. Rub is my version of Magic Dust with extra black pepper for pastrami.
Pics coming.
Meat is about 3-4 lbs. anyone have an estimate on cook time?

I cooked the pastrami as above. Came out a little tough. Should I have cooked to higher temp ?

Uh-oh, all those kind words in this thread and yours didn't come out good...maybe it's the oregano :biggrin:

I have noticed that sometimes with off brands, the quality of the brisket is not that great. Every now and then I get a tough one..... I used to cook them to higher temps, but realized that the corning process changes the meat somewhat, so high internal temps aren't as important as they are in a conventional brisket.

I guess you should slice it thin, that will help. If you have a pressure cooker, 20 minutes will tender it up.

We ate about half for dinner so it wasn't that bad.
I put the rest in the oven and ran the internal up over 180 and turned off the oven. It sits there now. We'll see how it is tommorrow.
Could be my oregano though.

Had my first pastrami tonight. Used Thirdeye's recipe and MAN OH MAN WAS IT GOOOOOOOOOD! It started as a store bought 4 lb corned beef.

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 32
Back