MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Salt Block Take on Smoke?

Wondering if I run the smoker low and slow and roll some smoke for a while if it would permeate a Himalayan salt block.

Thinking adding a little smoke note on the surface and then searing some thin strips of beef might be pretty tasty.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Cowgirl Jeanie smokes salt so I believe it would be worth a try.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was gifted a salt block for cooking on, but it needed some time to get up to temp, then you needed to rinse it after cooling and to be honest I used it 4 or 5 times and didn't really care for it..... I wound up asking around then passed it on to someone that wanted to play with it.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
guero_gordo
is one Smokin' Farker

Never noticed it taking on smoke flavor.
Whatcha could try is dissolving Himalayan salt in water, smoking that solution, then evaporating the water

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

I was gifted a salt block for cooking on, but it needed some time to get up to temp, then you needed to rinse it after cooling and to be honest I used it 4 or 5 times and didn't really care for it..... I wound up asking around then passed it on to someone that wanted to play with it.
This was my experience as well. I didn’t really even notice any salt flavor from it either. More “show” than “go” IMO.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
Kmm
On the road to being a farker

Sorry, It really will not work. When the individual crystals are bonded into a solid block, only the exposed surface area is available for smoke adhesion. Further, when food is being cooked on a hot salt block, it is actually losing moisture and isn’t able to absorb much, if any, available salt until it begins to cool.
Kmm is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
Hoss
Babbling Farker

ONE FAD that I am glad I did not pull the trigger on.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote