MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #16
2xal
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks delicious! May not be BBQ but variety is the spice of life, right?
2xal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
SMetroHawkeye
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hawkeye

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, Dom... remembering sights and smells of my Mom making Christmas treats. As a kid, I knew I was in business when I spied half a dozen round tins with various ‘dashing through the snow’, ‘jingle bells’ and nativity scenes on them, spread out on the kitchen counter. I knew that, soon, they would be filled with all my favorites: chocolate covered peanut clusters, caramels, peanut butter chocolate star cookies, buckeyes, sugar cookies, nutmeg logs, peanut brittle... and on and on. Definitely “the most wonderful time of the year!”

Old 12-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #18
lunchman
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dom
Default Round Two - Peanut Brittle

As promised, another variant on Christmas candy making. Only this time it's Buttery Peanut Brittle. The recipe is from a Land O Lakes website as it calls for LOL Butter, but I don't have the URL since I'm working from a recipe I printed a few years ago.

Very similar to the caramels, but differences in ingredient amounts, including 2 sticks of butter -

Start with Sugar, Corn Syrup and Water -

Stir occasionally, bring to a boil -

Add in the butter, then stir for 15-20 minutes to a temp of 280 F.

At that point add in the peanuts. The recipe calls for raw Spanish Peanuts, but I just buy a can of Spanish Peanuts. I've never bothered looking for raw peanuts -

And continuously stir another 10-15 minutes until the temp reaches 305.

At 305, remove it from the heat and add in the Baking Soda. It foams a little bit, but the change in color and consistency is what's noticeable -

Pour the mixture out onto two parchment lined and lightly greased baking sheets -

And let it cool for 15-20 minutes on the counter, after which it'll solidify and be ready for breaking. I usually just drop the pan on the counter and then break it into even smaller pieces by hand. I should probably pay more attention to peanut distribution when pouring, but hey, it's homemade candy! You get what you get. -

Close up -

Place into an airtight container and get ready to enjoy. Most of this batch will be given as gifts.

Again, thanks for reading through this post. Any questions, let me know.

And as expected, homemade Peanut Brittle beats the heck out of anything you can buy in a store.

As with the caramels, it's a bit of work but definitely worth it.

Regards,
-Dom

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #19
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Mighty fine Dom.

UDS now resurrected, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill, Stealth WSM 18", Char Broil Kamander
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #20
bschoen
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Holy heck that all looks great. Zounds though, I need to go to the dentist just from having read this.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 01:37 AM   #21
Inthewoods
is Blowin Smoke!

I'll trade ya a gallon of huckleberry for that salted candy!!!

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #22
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

That looks awesome Thanks for the tutorial
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #23
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks and sounds delicious, Dom! Thanks for posting!
I used to make bacon brittle that was pretty tasty. I need to get back into candy making.
Hope you and family have a wonderful holiday season!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #24
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Hell yeah Dom!

You're threads are always unique and very inspiring! Just Killer!
Vision Kamado PRO
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum & Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #25
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Divinity is another similar one that is fun to make. After I left home, I bought a candy thermometer just so I could make Christmas Divinity.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

You are on a roll, lunchman. I am doing the keto thing these days and really feel that keto soft caramel might be the ticket. I have done keto toffee but swerve doesn’t harden like real sugar, this might just work. To be continued.

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #27
lunchman
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
Divinity is another similar one that is fun to make. After I left home, I bought a candy thermometer just so I could make Christmas Divinity.
I had to look this one up, then realized what it was. I've only had it once or twice, sounds like fun.

Chef Tom from atbbq.com recently posted Pecan Pralines, which may be next on my list. Never made them, but I'm game.

It's a fun time of the year in the kitchen.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #28
Hoss
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
My 95 yo Aunt still makes it every Christmas! It must be called "Divinity" because that stuff,made right,is DIVINE!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #29
Hoss
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchman View Post
As promised, another variant on Christmas candy making. Only this time it's Buttery Peanut Brittle. The recipe is from a Land O Lakes website as it calls for LOL Butter, but I don't have the URL since I'm working from a recipe I printed a few years ago.

Very similar to the caramels, but differences in ingredient amounts, including 2 sticks of butter -

Start with Sugar, Corn Syrup and Water -

Stir occasionally, bring to a boil -

Add in the butter, then stir for 15-20 minutes to a temp of 280 F.

At that point add in the peanuts. The recipe calls for raw Spanish Peanuts, but I just buy a can of Spanish Peanuts. I've never bothered looking for raw peanuts -

And continuously stir another 10-15 minutes until the temp reaches 305.

At 305, remove it from the heat and add in the Baking Soda. It foams a little bit, but the change in color and consistency is what's noticeable -

Pour the mixture out onto two parchment lined and lightly greased baking sheets -

And let it cool for 15-20 minutes on the counter, after which it'll solidify and be ready for breaking. I usually just drop the pan on the counter and then break it into even smaller pieces by hand. I should probably pay more attention to peanut distribution when pouring, but hey, it's homemade candy! You get what you get. -

Close up -

Place into an airtight container and get ready to enjoy. Most of this batch will be given as gifts.

Again, thanks for reading through this post. Any questions, let me know.

And as expected, homemade Peanut Brittle beats the heck out of anything you can buy in a store.

As with the caramels, it's a bit of work but definitely worth it.

Regards,
-Dom
There is nothing better at Christmas time than home made candies.Properly cooked peanut brittle is definitely in the top tier.Thank you for the inspiration and recipes.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #30
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

The name probably comes from or, is related to, the season. Mom only made it during the Christmas season. One of many reasons to look forward to Christmas as a young adult!

Peanut Brittle was my father's favorite during the cold part of the year. I never really got into it too much but, it was a good warm-up for Divinity closer to Christmas.