MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Eloquently Convince Me I’m Wrong

1. Fajitas are made from beef
2. Burnt ends are made from beef
3. Fattys are made from breakfast sausage
4. Real bbq has a kiss of mesquite, if not always-mostways
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
1. Fajitas are made from beef: Beef is king, but chicken and shrimp are always welcome to join
2. Burnt ends are made from beef: Agreed
3. Fattys are made from breakfast sausage Semi agree, but I think an italian sausage fatty is still a fatty
A kiss of hickory here in the midwest. No mesquite in this area, so whatever is a strong flavored native would qualifies as real barbecue for me

Mod Note: Text colors adjusted

Last edited by Ron_L; 12-10-2019 at 09:54 AM..
KClandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Argue about BBQ- Check
Try to force out bbq beliefs on you- Check
Eloquently- I think you have us confused with some other folks.

I'm Erik except on #3

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
[url]https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack[/url]
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
16Adams

Forgot a big one. There’s a Texas magazine that covers BBQ article recently out on this. I don’t subscribe but the limited comments I saw were getting good

5.Pork Belly “burnt ends” were invented in Texas.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
sniperfx
Full Fledged Farker

You are wrong... Just saying lol

Old 12-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

I'll try my hand at this one.

1. Fajitas are made from beef

YES! Thank you for saying this. What in the heck is a chicken fajita? Or, heaven forbid, a "veggie fajita" (yes, i've seen that before)? Someone referring to a non-beef item as a "fajita" really boils my crawfish to an extent ALMOST equal to being invited to a "barbecue" consisting of grilled hot dogs (yes, that has happened before as well).

2. Burnt ends are made from beef

Eh, I'm a bit more flexible on this but you're probably technically correct. Sometimes when I accidentally overcook rib tips/trimmings, I'll chop them up with a little sauce and tell folks that the "burnt ends" are ready for nibbling on.

3. Fattys are made from breakfast sausage

I don't have a big dog in this fight, since I have yet to make a fatty (I know, I know). But, I'll go along with you on this one.

This is probably the only one I'll disagree with. This is a long spiel, so buckle up. I'm in a part of the state where Oak (specifically red/white/live oak) is the most readily available fire wood due to it growing native here...but mesquite can be found growing native just a short drive away, so it is largely available as well. Personally, I have used oak as the primary wood in EVERY SINGLE one of my smoke sessions. I've never used any other base wood. However, I will, in 99 percent of cases, normally add a little bit of mesquite, and in fact do usually use mesquite to establish my initial coal bed before adding oak splits for the remainder of the cook. I'll also (rarely) throw in some pecan as well. But for grilling, it is mesquite all the way. Briquettes/lump mixed with mesquite chunks is hands down my go-to for indirect/direct grill sessions.

So, in summary:

In practice, I agree with you Adams, as I nearly almost always use mesquite in the offset and literally ALWAYS use it on the grill. I would even go so far as to say that real Texas bbq always has a kiss of mesquite to it. But, I have had mesquite-less meat smoked entirely with hickory/pecan/apple/etc that was quite tasty as well, and therefore have to leave a bit of room for those who either don't have mesquite readily available or those who do (but for some silly reason) decide not to utilize it. FIN.

Mod Note: text colors adjusted
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:

Last edited by Ron_L; 12-10-2019 at 09:55 AM..
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default Eloquently...

If I may say, good chap, it is a shame to set a regulatory discrimination towards the fine art of barbecuing. You would be taken back to know that in the world of sophisticated barbecue things:

You ain't got no frickin clue what BBQ really is...bro!

Last edited by jermoQ; 12-10-2019 at 09:56 AM..
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Mod Note:

Gang, please refrain from using red text! Per our rules, certain colors are reserved for the forum admin and moderators so their posts can easily be identified.

I have adjusted the text colors above.

Quote:
Color codes in member names mean something.

GOLD/RED is the forum Admin and our Founder/Owner. Badger and BBQChef33 respectively.

RED or GOLD text denotes Administrators posting in official capacity and NOT as a member.

Green are our moderators. They enforce our rules and ensure our forum remains a family friendly atmosphere. Green text denotes moderators posting in official capacity and NOT as a member.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

1. Fajitas are made from beef - RIGHT
2. Burnt ends are made from beef - RIGHT
3. Fattys are made from breakfast sausage - NO OPINION
4. Real bbq has a kiss of mesquite, if not always-mostways - DO NOT AGREE, TOO MANY GREAT AND AUTHENTIC STYLES THAT DO NOT INCLUDE MESQUITE

Just my $0.02
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

All correct except for the Mesquite thing, although I do use Mesquite lump quite a bit, I subscribe to the Oak faction. If I could get Oak around here, I would use Oak all the time, but there is precious little Oak to be had. So because of availability I do use Mesquite and Pecan. I really do prefer the smokey goodness that Oak imparts to meat.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Convince yourself.

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams

Clearly you see that pecan and oak can also play as critical a role as mesquite.

I also seem to remember one of the sages of this forum who used to say ‘Any wood is fine, as long as it’s cherry.’ EDIT see here. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=20240

QED

Last edited by Stlsportster; 12-10-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
16Adams

On a road trip yesterday watched as the manure spreaders out in full force were working their trade. It’s always kind of intrigued me how the manure in a feedlot gets loaded on a cool looking truck then BS is spread over fields.

Kind of like claiming to have invented something in BBQ. BS is strong in this world. Sort of like post#1

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
thirdeye

I would respectfully:

Comment on #3 that BBQ Brethren member "Bigdog" was the one that gave a smoked sausage log it's now famous name. Early on they were made with breakfast sausage, but Italian does come in a log, so I'll call you "mostly right" on that statement.

Disagree with #4 in that mesquite is a requirement when cooking barbecue.

And very respectfully suggest that #5 (Pork Belly “burnt ends” were invented in Texas.) are fightin' words in some barbecuist circles. I was born and raised in Texas and there were plenty of places in the 60's that made that claim, and still stand by it. Likewise they claimed they were born as scraps (not cubes of points) served as a lunch special, which I buy into a little easier.

So... respectfully, do some research starting with KC legends Harry Perry, Arthur Bryant and Gates Bar-B-Q and you will see what I mean about loyalty to the history of barbecue and to burnt ends aka "brownies".

When I was a little boy, BBQ joints served burnt ends that looked closer to this than the perfect, saucy cubes that are now so popular.... for what it's worth I like both dry and saucy burnt ends.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #14
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
On a road trip yesterday watched as the manure spreaders out in full force were working their trade. It’s always kind of intrigued me how the manure in a feedlot gets loaded on a cool looking truck then BS is spread over fields.

Kind of like claiming to have invented something in BBQ. BS is strong in this world. Sort of like post#1

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Cheers

1 members found this post helpful.