Roadside Chicken

mattmountz94

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am sure many of you have seen the recipe floating around so i won't post. Cooked at 425-450 for little over an hour. Basted and flipped every 7mins.

First Flip

Finished Product

Juicy, juicy breast

Really good. I prefer much smaller chickens but this is all the store had. I normally marinade first in the "roadside sauce" but had no time this go around. The flavor is better when you get the chance to marinade.

I think this may be the one the OP is referring to seakuv -

If you like the chicken from the roadside chicken stands then you'll like this. I've been making this for about 15 years now and it's pretty darn good.

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy

EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

I had never even heard of this before! A little bit of internet searching and I found a fantastic sounding recipe for Roadside Chicken - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/08/grilling-mexican-roadside-chicken-with-green.html.

Hanging out on this site is going to improve my barbecue game! Roadside Chicken on the grill this weekend.

That does sound good. Here is the recipe i use
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/roadside-chicken-52111011

I use apple cider vinegar instead of the white

Awesome cook Matt... Looks fantastic.

There are a wide variety of recipes on the BBQ-Brethren for Roadside Chicken; Everything from Prof. Bob Baker's Cornell Chicken, Moose's Roadside Chicken, even some variations from Patio Daddio and Moose with Mexican Roadside Chicken, and Tex-Mex Roadside Chicken. They all taste amazing.

Last edited:
Back