MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #31
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piddlin View Post
I have the Mav -732 and Fireboard. I had the Smoke for 1 week. not for any real negative reason though.

Used the 732 for years, while saying my next one would be the Smoke. I finally broke the 732 remote antenna off, while carrying in my pocket. It just so happened Thermoworks had their 15% off site wide sale. I purchased the Smoke. Made my first cook and had no complaints at all. But, then I wanted the Gateway (I like graphs and studying data). I debated between just ordering the Gateway or going with the Fireboard. A guy I worked with said he'd by the Smoke for what I had paid.

The dilemma for me was the Gateway only updates once a minute and adds another device. But I did like the stand alone ability of the Smoke. I liked the 5 second update of the Fireboard, along with 3 (up to 6) probes. But not having a dedicated pendant receiver was a drawback. I decided to order the Smoke. When I went online the 15% had ended and I figured it was a sign to order the Fireboard.

I sold the Smoke and purchased the basic Fireboard set (also the case in a fit of spending craze. She'll never know). Had one cook so far and although the meat didn't turn out as planned, I really like the Fireboard.

I keep a spreadsheet of my cooks and now I can add the graph from the cooks also. The log is stored on the transmitter itself, along with the cloud. If for some reason the wifi goes out, data is still stored on the device itself. I did not really test out the Bluetooth, but I think that is a good back up plan. Another plus to the Fireboard is you can set the alarms for how often they repeat and also how long they have to be in a condition before they alarm. It can send email, app prompt, and text.

Bottom line-
If you are going to be in a remote area and like having a stand alone receiver, get the Smoke.

If you like looking at data, plan to be around wifi most of the time, and ever have a need for more probes, get the Fireboard.

They are both great. It just comes down to what you'll be doing with it.
Which of the two models? I can’t see the difference. I do see the difference in price.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:53 AM   #32
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post
Well that’s perfect.
Which model did you get? By the case?
I have the extreme pack, so all the probes but not the case.
I've used it in all conditions and no issues, got to add I never put it out in the rain but even in temps below 0C, no issues.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #33
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
I have the extreme pack, so all the probes but not the case.
I've used it in all conditions and no issues, got to add I never put it out in the rain but even in temps below 0C, no issues.
What are the differences between the two?

Old 08-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #34
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

Here's a sale I got sent to me today on the Smoke for 23% off.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Op...ke-Open-Box-cs

Old 08-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #35
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Quote:
What are the differences between the two?
Just the number of probes and clips:

Ambient Probe 1 vs 2
Food Probes 2 vs 6
Grill Clip 1 vs 2

My wife bought it for my birthday last year, as they weren't shipping internationally yet, a friend brought it along from the US. So she decided to get the full Monty to avoid having to buy new probes along the line.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #36
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Just the number of probes and clips:

Ambient Probe 1 vs 2
Food Probes 2 vs 6
Grill Clip 1 vs 2

My wife bought it for my birthday last year, as they weren't shipping internationally yet, a friend brought it along from the US. So she decided to get the full Monty to avoid having to buy new probes along the line.
Thanks. I’ll proba go less than full monty! I’m shy!

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #37
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Hi guys
My maverick et 732 is giving me trouble. The receiver keeps losing the signal and it’s annoying. Also it makes it really hard to nap overnight with that annoying buzzer going off
The Maverick is over 5 years old.
What is the best thermometer these days?

Thanks
This may be a stupid question, but have you tried fresh batteries? Only reason I ask is that mine does the same thing when the batteries in the transmitter are getting weak.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #38
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
This may be a stupid question, but have you tried fresh batteries? Only reason I ask is that mine does the same thing when the batteries in the transmitter are getting weak.
Yes. Lots. I’ll try again

Old 08-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #39
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yes. Lots. I’ll try again
O.K., if you've already changed the batteries, that probably isn't the problem. The batteries in mine usually last a couple of years.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2018, 05:44 AM   #40
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Happy Fireboard owner here, the alarm only sounds on the phone, that's probably the only downside of the unit I can think of. Great probes, great app, excellent range on BT and even better on WiFi.
Mine sounds at both the smoker and my phone. If I remember correctly the fan cable has the alarm in it.
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2018, 05:46 AM   #41
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
That is exactly my problem. When I go to the back of my house it freezes and starts to beep.
If range is an issue get a WiFi capable unit. With my fireboard I’ve monitored my temps from the house, work, store, wherever. You never lose the connection to your device unless you have poor WiFi range.
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-31-2018, 05:54 AM   #42
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
If range is an issue get a WiFi capable unit. With my fireboard I’ve monitored my temps from the house, work, store, wherever. You never lose the connection to your device unless you have poor WiFi range.
Which fireboard do you have?

Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #43
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-b-que View Post
I’d get a fireboard if I could afford it.
Ok guys. Bought the FireBoard.
I must be missing something because the notifications are underwhelm8ng compared to the Maverick
It appears to send a text or an email or an iPhone notification?
This isn’t anywhere as noisy as the Maverick. That puppy would beep like crazy if the temp fell.
Am I missing something? These alerts wouldn’t wake me up if I needed it
Hemp please,

Old 09-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #44
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Help guys?

Old 09-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #45
FrankZ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Frank

I don't use the notifications so I can't help there. I watch on my tablet or web browser.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote