Air Tight..

rehless

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Folks, what do you use to keep your spices and rubs from hardening up like cement after you open them? I've tried several containers that make the claim, but fail. Thanks in advance.
Bill

Closing the container works for me :confused:. Mine are right over the stove also.

Bulk spices go into a ziplock bag, air expressed, and into the freezer. Small amounts go into empty Penzeys spice jars with labels. I only keep enough out of the freezer for a week or so.
If they cake up too hard, a quick trip through the coffee grinder fixes that. Otherwise, I just pour them into a large bowl and crush them there.

I keep them in the dark and I put that cover back on that is under the cap to help keep it air tight Seems to help

I've seen a trick where you place plastic wrap over container then screw cap on. I haven't tried myself as that would annoying to undo everyday; might be useful on the bigger, less frequently used rubs.

Humidity is definitely an issue where I live so I usually buy the smaller shaker bottles instead of the larger bags and I cook enough where it doesn't have time to harden.

Fridge works great. I had several items that I always had on hand that would clump. I've had new purchases of the same item in the fridge for months and months with no issues.

I keep my rubs in the air tight Tupperware containers in the freezer. The last forever. My SPOG is in a metal shaker with tin foil over the top and in the freezer. This stays very well as we use our SPOG on salads, vegetables and many other things. A great seasioning for anything.

My main rubs come in a plastic bag and I use my FoodSaver to re-seal the edge - no vacuum. The trick is to immediately open the FoodSaver lid once the sealing light goes off and then wait a minute before peeling the bag from the sealer surface. If you do it too soon then the sealed edge will tear.

Humid as hell down here, so they'll freeze up like quickcrete. If it's something that doesn't get used often then a lil piece of cling wrap under the lid does the trick.

Several grains of rice placed into the container along with the seasonings/spices will alleviate your problem.Most every diner in the Deep South (very high humidity) employs this method to the salt shakers that are left out on the tables.Freezing will preserve the freshness of and extend the life of bulk rubs.

Back