MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #16
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFokker View Post
Grocery store firewood will be all hardwood, usually maple and oak. Reasonably price too.
Around here grocery stores sell bags of wood that are 1 to 1.5 cubic feet of wood for around $10 each. That is hilariously expensive
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #17
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Daniel

You guys are awesome. Don’t have the smoker yet still researching but as I was researching I realized I’ve never seen cooking wood in my area. Now that I know I have a fuel source I’m more comfortable moving forward. I’ve cooked with grocery store firewood while camping a small bundle usually costs around $5 here and has about 6 medium sized splits. I’ll try to find an Ace nearby as a backup plan I’m sure there has to be one here somewhere. Again thanks so much!

Old 06-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #18
kfdvm
Full Fledged Farker

I do not know what trees grow in your region, but you might research it and plant some trees for the future. I bought my first off set in the late 80’s. I planted oak, hickory pecan and a small orchard. I now have more wood then I can use. I would think oak would grow quickly in south Florida.
kfdvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #19
mcdeadstein
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfdvm View Post
I do not know what trees grow in your region, but you might research it and plant some trees for the future. I bought my first off set in the late 80’s. I planted oak, hickory pecan and a small orchard. I now have more wood then I can use. I would think oak would grow quickly in south Florida.

Now that is dedication to the long game!
mcdeadstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #20
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfdvm View Post
No room for Orchards in South Florida LOL! Oak is pretty prevalent here. Most of what I've seen on CL is Oak and Australian Pine. I do have a large mango tree I will be cutting down because we plan on backyard renovations soon so I was going to keep a lot of that wood as well.

Is Australian Pine any different than other pine species? I assume pine is pine and should be avoided for cooking even though the people selling it are passing it off as "firewood".

Old 06-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #21
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Also check the Yellow Pages for listings for firewood, tree trimmers, and landscapers. The landscapers may not have any any but may know more tree trimmers and wood suppliers than are listed in the yellow pages. Check fireplace and patio shops for leads too. If there are any fruit orchards or pecan groves in the area they are good to check on.

Face cords(aka ricks) are not necessarily 1/3 a cord. I've always heard it is any length of wood(stick) x 4ft x 8ft, so beware of measurements unless stated in fractions of a cord or explicitly stated in feet and inches. A cord is a *volume* measurement that is 4ft x 4ft x 8ft. BTW a level full standard length wide bed pickup bed is just shy of a rick of ~16" long wood.

Get yourself a inexpensive wood moisture meter because not all wood sold is well seasoned - especially the small volume stuff from the gas station, grocer, or big box stores. Likewise firewood doesn't need to be as well seasoned as cooking wood.

You will need to pick a stick and split it again so you can check in the middle of the stick on the newly split surface to get a reliable reading. Fully seasoned is ~15-20%.

Learn the sound of well seasoned wood to minimise the need for the moisture meter. It will ring/crack like two wooden bats tapped together.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #22
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Be careful with Facebook and Craigslist ads. Whether it is intentional or not, many sellers do not know what a "face cord" is versus a "full cord".

I have had many sellers wanting $300 for a 'full cord' only to discover what they had was a 'face cord' (or less) and when I asked about it, they either played dumb or were actually dumb enough to blindly copy someone else's ad with no understanding.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #23
clydegator
Got Wood.

I'm in Lantana and understand your problem. I've been lucky and had a few friends cutting down Australian Pines and they make for some great local free hard wood. Burns a little hot but a nice clean mild flavor. Have you tried Bass Pro shops in Dania Beach. I've seen some logs occasionally.
clydegator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #24
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Great info everyone I’m learning so much.

While we’re on topic I had a question. Will wood season properly in such a humid environment that we have here in South Florida? I wouldn’t mind putting a pile of wood to season in my garage or attic but it’s muggy as can be in there. Thoughts on this?

Old 06-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #25
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Been a while since I was at Bass Pro but been meaning to get over there. They have some nice cookers. Usually when I’m there I’m in the marine or fishing departments��

Old 06-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #26
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Academy usually has "mini-logs" that work great..... however, the last time I checked you were paying about $1,200.00 per cord. Still, if you need some wood for a single cook in a hurry you do what ya' gotta do.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #27
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovster View Post
Great info everyone I’m learning so much.

While we’re on topic I had a question. Will wood season properly in such a humid environment that we have here in South Florida? I wouldn’t mind putting a pile of wood to season in my garage or attic but it’s muggy as can be in there. Thoughts on this?
I'm north of you and on the West Coast just S of Tampa. I built a wood shed to store wood while I was waiting on my Shirley and bought what was advertised as a face cord of Oak...turned out to be more. Here's a photo of the shed before I started cooking.

The oak had been cut for about 5 months and split. I resplit the front course so it fits my Shirley. It was in the 25% moisture range when first delivered but now is around 15-18%. Burns great. So to answer your question, Yes, it will season even here in humid FL, but you will need to keep it somewhat out of the weather and provide good airflow.

Sorry.....didn't realize the photo would load upside down, but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodshed 1.jpg (124.2 KB, 47 views)
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #28
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

That is awesome I am totally stealing that idea!! What would did you use for framing?

Old 06-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #29
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

The framing is all 2x6 PT Pine. Side walls and underlayment of the metal roof are all PT Decking (cheaper than the 1x6 I was going to use), the floor is leftover Trex decking from a dock we put in last year. Roof is corrugated metal roofing. Joist and Truss hangers are galvanized and all Screws used as fasteners are Stainless, except the roof which are galvanized roofing screws with rubber washers.

We got about 4+" of rain here yesterday and I checked this AM and the front course of wood was completely dry.
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #30
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
I'm north of you and on the West Coast just S of Tampa. I built a wood shed to store wood while I was waiting on my Shirley and bought what was advertised as a face cord of Oak...turned out to be more. Here's a photo of the shed before I started cooking.

The oak had been cut for about 5 months and split. I resplit the front course so it fits my Shirley. It was in the 25% moisture range when first delivered but now is around 15-18%. Burns great. So to answer your question, Yes, it will season even here in humid FL, but you will need to keep it somewhat out of the weather and provide good airflow.

Sorry.....didn't realize the photo would load upside down, but you get the idea.
How did you measure the moisture?

What is ideal moisture range for oak?

I really feel like the oak I bought is old or too dry or something. It is a bear to burn. Definitely not new firewood, looks old.