Bad Smoke

Jimbo Jones

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking for some advice on this bad smoke incident I had on my kettle. I put half a chimney of unlit briquettes on one side and about a half chimney of lit on top, and three chunks of hickory on that. Then I put ribs on and kept the temp around 275. I had white smoke for a bit and then no real visible smoke and it smelled great. About two hours in I had the lid off for a few minutes while I wrapped my ribs for the third hour. During that time I noticed that two of the chunks of wood were small, black, charred and looked pretty much spent, while the third chunk was barely burned at all, it just had a small amount of black on one side. This third chunk caught back on fire while I had the lid off. So I put the ribs back on and closed the lid. But the smoke coming from this third piece of hickory was almost grey and smelled bad. I gave it about 20 minutes but it wouldn't stop producing this bad smelling grey smoke. So I pulled that chunk out and finished the day with just charcoal. The bottom and top vents were about 1/4 to 1/2 open throughout the day. So I'm wondering if anyone knows why when that third chunk of wood caught that it didn't produce a white smoke and then change to no smoke with a nice smell like the other two chunks did?

Last edited:
My guess is you put the ribs on too soon. Wait until the smoke clears more. Even if the smoke is cleanish it can still put a bad flavor on food. Run your fingers thru the exhaust and smell them. It'll either smell great or like an ash tray. That chunk smoldering while the ribs were wrapped couldn't do any harm as the ribs were not exposed to the smoke. Unless I missed something.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah that ashtray smell is what I'm talking about. So when a wood chunk is producing that grey ashtray smoke you just keep the lid off for awhile to let it burn off some more?

How did the ribs turn out? Im assuming they tasted ok, not like dirty smoke, or you would have stated that...?

Just watched a Harry Soo vid the other day, frim what I remember he stated you should put your wood chunks down under the charcoal. Dont remember him explaining why, at least in that vid... Seems like I have seen that before somewhere as well, cause I had been trying to have some charcial on top of my hunks before..

Ugh! I still remember the first time I smoked and didn't control my fire and temp. I was in a hurry and took a couple shortcuts. Lots of bad smoke. I had wasted a $65 brisket and turned it into a very very bitter tasting piece of meat. Right into the trash it went......

Ive had that experience with bad smoke too. Sometimes when the wood is too preheated and it totally dries, it can catch fire and burn too quickly/too hot, which leads to black/dark gray smoke. I would have done the samy by tossing it.

If they were wrapped while the bad smoke rolls, especially in foil, I'd have just let it keep going or try to get the fire a bit more clean by that chunk to encourage better ignition. But while wrapped? The meat doesn't really care at that point.

If I read the OP correctly, the ribs were wrapped so no harm done.

I have had chunk do that, but once the charcoal around it fired it behaved.

If it was store bought it could have been that something different and bad got in the bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bottom and top vents were about 1/4 to 1/2 open throughout the day.
I don't think this has anything to do with the smoke, but the top vent should be open all the way-regulate the heat from the bottom.

Was that chunk of wood good sound well seasoned heartwood? Or was it cut as standing deadwood that was already punk and starting to decay?

Back