so..for a new bksd...

ibait2fish

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
so...for a new (seasoned) bksd...what's the best to start with?

new 'k', old 'k', lump, royal oak lump, or should I just
fire up some sticks, and get some sleep?

or is lump, or royal oak lump sooo bad that I have to feed every 30 min.,
even with bricks, guru, mods, and MEAT...or is my relative givin' me
sh#t?

Don't be shy....I know the answer...

Thanx!

If you're just gonna season it, use the cheapest charcoal you can get and stoke it up after smearing it down with Crisco. It will smell awesome with no meat in it. Trust me.

As far as what to use once you start cooking meat, thats up for trial & error. R&D. You need to decide what works best. So buy what can can get locally and test it.

Me, I have an old Bandera and I start with 2 chimneys of Kingsford using the Minion Method then switch to wood.

Brauma is dead on this time! ;) In my BSKD, I have been using the new Kingsford, but switching to chunks and sticks after it starts to burn down. I have been debating dumping the entire charcoal basket and starting over when I wrap the meat. However, I have not figured out how to get all the meat to the wrapping stage at the same time...

I start with unlit briquettes by the firebox door, a home brewed divider in the middle, a chimney of lit briquettes next to the smoke box. Once a good coal bed has been established I switch to sticks. This does require attention every 45 to 60 minutes. It gives me an excuse to avoid shopping and other honey do's.

I think you might have some trees in your area. You may want to use sticks for the economics of it. Sugar (hard) Maple is a favorite of mine from your neck of the woods.

Thanx!

Yep, we have wood, but very little suitable, just maple and alder. The only sugar maples we have around here are all transplants.:( Native maples are red, and flame (locally called 'rock' because of where and how it grows).

Back