does it matter where vents in UDS lid are?

Hozman

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Ready to place my holes in the lid. After going and reading several threads going with the 6-1/2" holes. Does it matter where there are? Closer to center? Closer to outer rim? Don't matter and make a smiley face?

Also anyone disagree with 6 holes.

The vents will direct heat to some extent. For example, using a Weber lid allows you to direct the heat either over the food or to the side away from the food.

Some people like to use a pattern for the holes that allows heat to escape evenly such as in the pattern below.

picture.php

However, I use a Weber lid for 99.9% of my cooks and have never had a problem and rarely care where the vent is situated.

Having them spaced evenly, allows everything to leave evenly, and it looks nice. The biggest thing is making sure that you have the proper amount of exhaust, not necessarily where the holes are.
I'm like Boshizzle. I use a Weber lid, and put the exhaust over the meat, or away from the meat, depending on what I want to achieve.

Matt

I have one 2in hole, I just remove the plug, works great. So my guess would be no, it dont matter where they are.

Back