Doing Prep in a 24 foot Smoker/Concession Trailer

PaulstheRibList

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
BishopofBBQ
I'm in the works to buy a BBQ Smoking Concession Trailer. I'm almost there. I'm thinking a 24 foot rig, 12 foot enclosed kitchen, 12 foot smoking deck on the back, with a big smoker, and a 2nd smoker and/or grill.

I measured out and my kitchen area where I prep now in my house is about the size of my proposed enclosed area on the trailer, about 8 x 12, including sink, fridge and oven. (I'm not going to have an oven, but will have a CVAP/Also Sham.) Me and my 2 helpers have been prepping for our cooks in this same space, and it works well.

I'm looking forward to the idea of having all the necessary gear, supplies and such in the trailer, and we can do prep's and not be in my home, or my helpers can do a prep and cook and not be in my home, but where the trailer is parked at one of my other business' locations.

But I've not done prep inside that trailer. It's not the biggest thing in the world. And I'm not sure if I should get the slightly longer trailer (26 or 28 feet) because that real estate in the kitchen will be so needed once I get in there.

Our plan is to use the trailer for catering/parties, and open 1 day a week (Saturday) as a BBQ Stand. Also doing selected festivals.

Any feedback on trailer size needs?

Thanks! paul

If you are concerned you do not have enough space, then, more than likely, you do not have enough space. Now, as a Californian, I have to note that it is generally illegal to do any prep for food sales in a residence or a food truck. Prep and commisary is supposed to be done in a commercial kitchen. Lots of folks ignore the law.

However, I note that, because all of the food truck operators I know operate out of commercial kitchens, as their attempts to prep within the trucks were frustrating and inefficient. Depending on your menu, it can take a lot of space to prep food.

If you are concerned you do not have enough space, then, more than likely, you do not have enough space. Now, as a Californian, I have to note that it is generally illegal to do any prep for food sales in a residence or a food truck. Prep and commisary is supposed to be done in a commercial kitchen. Lots of folks ignore the law.

However, I note that, because all of the food truck operators I know operate out of commercial kitchens, as their attempts to prep within the trucks were frustrating and inefficient. Depending on your menu, it can take a lot of space to prep food.

Like landarc says, I can't beleive you can prep in your house.

Oh, let me clarify: I'm not a caterer nor am I selling food now. I'm just cooking for friends or charity.

I'm planning to open a catering business and stand. And the trailer is a part of that plan.

I have a commercial kitchen that I am planning to get a lease with and will serve as our official commissary. All our cooking will be done on the pits.

In Iowa, if you have a trailer with the proper sanitation and sinks, you can prepare food in the trailer. It is a mobile kitchen. Depending on your prep, the big thing is counter space or a place to put cutting boards. I work in a 15'x15' kitchen that does not have enough prep space. 3 people in a trailer doing prep would be really tight.

Oh, let me clarify: I'm not a caterer nor am I selling food now. I'm just cooking for friends or charity.

I'm planning to open a catering business and stand. And the trailer is a part of that plan.

I have a commercial kitchen that I am planning to get a lease with and will serve as our official commissary. All our cooking will be done on the pits.

Talk to your Health Dept to be sure you are currently, and in future ventures, legal and in compliance. In our State it doesn't matter if you are "selling" or not. If you are preparing food for public consumption you are still required to follow the regs. Also the liability aspects. You are still legally liable whether you are charging anything or not.

Back