Contest Announcment Hilo Bay BBQ Competition, Hilo, Hawaii, July 2nd and 3rd, 2011

Crash

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
To my knowledge, this is the state of Hawaii's 1st sanctioned BBQ event. It is sanctioned by IBCA and is held within a stones throw of Hilo Bay. I seriously couldn't imagine a better place to hold a competition than on the beach in Hawaii.

I do not know the prize fund for this event or if it will draw the appropriate number of teams and the Governor's Proclamation to make it a Jack Draw. Still, cooking a comp in Hawaii doesnt suck at all.

I'll post up more details as I receive them from the organizer.

I hope it is well received!

If my Hawaiian geography is right, You're on Oahu and the comp is on the Big Island, right? How do you get your stuff to the comp and what does that cost?

I hope it is well received!

If my Hawaiian geography is right, You're on Oahu and the comp is on the Big Island, right? How do you get your stuff to the comp and what does that cost?
Your geography is correct. We will have to float our stuff over on a barge. Cost is around $600, roundtrip.

Float my stuff

I wish I could float my stuff over there for $600...and sleep on the beach. This might become one of those...I have to do it just once...kind of events.

Keep the details posted as they come in.

$800 per, round trip out of Houston.

I'm giving it some serious thought, a once in a lifetime deal, like that mexico event last year I missed.

but thats a steep price to get your pits over there, Crash. $1200.. Even if I split it with you, seems a bit insane.

$800 per, round trip out of Houston.

I'm giving it some serious thought, a once in a lifetime deal, like that mexico event last year I missed.

but thats a steep price to get your pits over there, Crash. $1200.. Even if I split it with you, seems a bit insane.

We also ran the #'s and I think we came up with $2K to fly over, ship stuff roundtrip, entry fees meat, truck rental, etc.....and we live in the freaking state!

It's still on the radar and we are trying to figure out how to make it work.

Here's also a thought for mainland teams. There's a Home Depot in Hilo that sells smokers, Charbroils I think. Teams could buy a pair, cook on them and then sell them to a local at a reduced cost.

It's a thought, even though I hate those Charbroil offsets.

Good luck with this contest there! If times were better I would be there in a second. Good luck and have fun.

R&R BBQ Team

Hmmmm, lets see..

Surfboard's still in Kapolei, if I could get the braddahs together, would love me some big island time. Be a challenge getting an 11' board on an island jumper though. I know there is at least one Backwoods Fatboy out there in the islands.

Rumor has it a TX team just signed up for this event. Talk about travelling distance.:clap2:

This event officially received a Governor's Proclamation yesterday. 15 teams and it's a Jack draw.

Tough prize fund, but keep in mind this is Hawaii's 1st ever sanctioned event.....or is that the price to fly out on that weekend? :p

It is a contest like this that makes me wish I was independently wealthy, or had studied more in school!

It is a contest like this that makes me wish I was independently wealthy, or had studied more in school!
I hear you dude. It's still too rich for my blood, and I live in the state. Inter-island shipping is brutal and inter-island flights on July 4th weekend arent exactly cheap either.

But if it gets to 15 teams........

Auto. There are no other events out here scheduled for this year.

I would think a few teams in the 48 would look hard at that if they had a Chubby to get to the Jack once in their Competition career!

Back