MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Default Sweet molasses cured smoked bacon & Smoked pancetta (savory bacon) pic heavy

Hey everyone! The other day I got a nice 10+lb belly cut and I decided to make 2 types of bacon with it. One was a sweet molasses bacon cured for a week then smoked with almond & Lychee wood. The other was gonna be a savory (Garlic & Herbs) cured pancetta to be hung and air-dried but my drying fridge is down right now so I went ahead and smoked it the same time as the sweet bacon! So I guess its basically a rolled smoked savory bacon. Both came out Great. So Here's what went down. Both were cured in vacu-bags, I didn't get pics of that. Sorry.

Raw Pancetta rubbed:

Pancetta out of cure:

Molasses cured bacon out of cure:

On the smoker 1 hour in:

About to come off:

Smoked Pancetta chilled & sliced (packaged the other half for a gift):

Sweet bacon chilled & sliced:

Had to have a sample:

Thats it. Thanks for looking.

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Oh my! I think my tongue just orgasmed!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That is fantastic. I so want some!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
gtr

Fantastic - curing bacon is something I plan on doing soon - thanks for posting!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Miguels244
On the road to being a farker

I'm bummed out. A buddy was going to broker a hog for me...all organic etc. but the source flaked out.

I was SO looking forward to makin' bacon.
Miguels244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

i know what i am doing next week! it seems around this time every year everyone starts making bacons and such, it's on now, i'm done putting it off.

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Oh yeah! Very nice lookin meaty meats! how'd your pancetta turn out? I've made a pancetta thingy out of a rolled up butt, but not belly - Let it air dry for 4 months and cold smoked several times - I'm curious to see if you think it would have been better dried, or if you were happy with the way it is?

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
I'm bummed out. A buddy was going to broker a hog for me...all organic etc. but the source flaked out.

I was SO looking forward to makin' bacon.
No reason not to make it. Go grab a slab of belly from your butcher and do tha damn thing I guarantee the belly you get from the butcher will still be better than the bellies commercial bacon manufacturers use anyway. I lived my whole life loving what I thought was "bacon" only to find out once I started making my own that I had never known what bacon really was! It was a sad time in my life. Now go make your own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalan724 View Post
i know what i am doing next week! it seems around this time every year everyone starts making bacons and such, it's on now, i'm done putting it off.
Yeah I have been curing a lot of hams for the Christmas (like 150 lbs worth) and since I already have the insta-cure1 on hand I did up a batch of bacon for myself (selfish mod ). The molasses recipe I have is actually turning out so damn nice each time I'm thinking of producing some bacon on a small small scale, about 25-50 lbs a batch in 2011 to distribute locally. I'll see how that turns out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Oh yeah! Very nice lookin meaty meats! how'd your pancetta turn out? I've made a pancetta thingy out of a rolled up butt, but not belly - Let it air dry for 4 months and cold smoked several times - I'm curious to see if you think it would have been better dried, or if you were happy with the way it is?
The pancetta turned out really nice. It has all the notes of the herbs, garlic spices & chilies, but its all absolutely mellowed out into this fatty, porky goodness. Im sure the flavors would have been more concentrated if it were air-dried. But I wanted it for use in the kitchen when cooking. Instead of using store bacon in dishes, this pancetta adds a whole new depth of flavor with all its herbs & spices. The almond and lychee smoke is nice and mild on the meat as well, so it by no means overbearing. I Did fry up a thin piece bacon-style and it was awesome... but so were the mushrooms I sauteed with the pancetta cubes tonight lol But yes, overall it came out very much to my liking! I do recommend doing it if you dont have the means or time to air dry.

Cheers

Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

BACON.......That looks really good, I have to add that to the bucket list!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Wow, that looks amazing. I really need to try this soon, or at least come down to Jamaica and try yours . You mentioned that your drying fridge was down, what do you use, something you made or modded(is that a word?), or something you bought?

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
Phubar

How will I put this.....Phark!!!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench_H View Post
Wow, that looks amazing. I really need to try this soon, or at least come down to Jamaica and try yours . You mentioned that your drying fridge was down, what do you use, something you made or modded(is that a word?), or something you bought?
Hey Wrench, I have an adjustable wine fridge that I use. I can get mine as high as 68˚*and the humidity usually sticks around 50-60. Mine's just a bit small, looking for a slightly bigger one now.

Cheers

Old 12-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

mmmmm...homemade bacon...i can smell it from here! nice job!

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
Missinglink99
Knows what a fatty is.

Now my stomach is growling. right before lunch though. nice post.
Missinglink99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
JasonBB
Knows what a fatty is.

that sweet looks awsome what recipe did you use,so what temp did you finish them off in the smoker to?
JasonBB is offline   Reply With Quote