• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chuck - pulled beef problem (help)

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I put a couple of probably around 2lb chucks on the UDS. Smoked between 225 and 250. Most of it ran about 244. Ran it up to 160 IT (the stall hit at 155*)(sat there for what seemed like forever), and pulled and basted with half beef broth, and half apple cider mixture. Wrapped in foil and put back on the UDS. ran it up to an internal temp of 205*. Pulled and rested in a cooler wrapped in a beach towel for about an hour. Unwrapped expecting some great pulled beef, I found that it would not pull. I had to slice it. The flaver was great, and it was very good meat, but I was hoping for pulled. I did take pictures of it, but do not have them with me right now. Any advise as to what might have went wrong?

I have seen this before with chucks. I think the problem might be that the whole chuck can be a 25 lb hunk of meat sometimes with a bunch of different muscles that all do different things. Some of these muscles do more work than others. If you bought t2 lb chucks it could be that yours could have been from a tougher section of the whole clod.

I have had this happen before also, but I've also had some that never even needed the foil to get pull apart tender. Either way I think if you hold that 205* in the foil long enough they should finish fine.

I routinely have to take my chucks well over 205F to be pulled. Last cook I did I took to 215 internal pulled like a charm.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1444822 said:
Did you calibrate your Thermo?

I am using a Maverick e-73. I have checked it in boiling water. it is accurate.

I did my first one here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94382

I cooked @ 250* until the chuck was 160*. Then I foiled in a tinfoil pan with some vegi's and liquids @ 350* for 3 more hours. I never used temp to check for doneness. After three hours I pulled the foil lid and started to pull. There were a couple areas that could have gone a bit longer. However I did let the chuck continue to cook uncovered for another hour. It was simply amazing and worked very well using this method. Hope this helps. Vince

I won't cook small pieces of chuck any more. They are difficult to get right without drying out. I try to buy chucks that are at least 7 or 8 lbs. They come out much better.

Back