First Brisket on Robot "all nighter" or "Daybreak"

BruceKWHP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just had to go meat shopping since I was near the Van Nuys RD after work...
this is what happened
1zl8vih.jpg

American Choice Angus $2.09 / lb.

And to let you know my wife is on board, look what she got me
29dyeyd.jpg

I am "all nighter" ready.

But really. I am going to be using Robot, my UDS. I am thinking of a scored
fat side down smoke @235 or so untill it probes like melted buttah...

I will be using straight K-Blue for fuel

Do I start it tonight around 11pm or wait untill the crack of dawn??

All nighter wins! I just dumped 1/2 a chimney on about 10 lbs of new k-blue into Robot's basket. Some spices got rubbed in
and the meat is ready to go on when the drum hits 230.
2m3jtxj.jpg

Let me say, the LED headlight kicks butt on the "1" led setting!! awesome.

Here is a pic of mr. brisky just after 9am. When my wife pushed me out of bed to make coffee....
the flat probes nicely, the point shows some resistance still...

Do I pull now and seperate, or pull and wrap in foil for resting?

Or leave it on (the internal on the flat is 191)

160dhz6.jpg

Last edited:
are you probing in the same area you have the thermometer in the pic ? Seems that's not the thickest part of the flat..

if point is tough, it's likely the thicker part of the flat is tough as well.

try and probe higher... based on that you may be able to pull or have to leave on longer.

you came this far, don't mess it up now !!!

I moved the thermo to a few more spots, now I get readings of 204 and 206 so it is heading for the foil. Probing feels great in many places.

Slicing and taste test in a few more hours.... we will see how UDS style "low and slow" did over the k-blue.

When I got up at 4:30 for a nature break the temp on the drum was 220, I opened the ball valve to full open from 7/8 or so
this morning at 9am it was holding 225... when I went to bed just after midnight it was at 235.

first the good news, the point came out good.

21l0ls1.jpg

Now for the not-so-good, the flat was waaaay overdone... I wish Nature had called and got me out of bed before 9!

bhrpj.jpg

Hmmm, that all looks good. The point is usually done first, but, it is usually a lot more forgiving timing wise. Too bad. Next time for sure.

hate to get off the subject , I have a Question , Just fired up 22.5 WSM and locked at 250 I have 2 two pound tri- tips how long should i cook the for and I'm also cooking 2 rack of BB's what should be on top TP or BB's

Thats too bad bro.... the point looks nice. Can you make burnt ends out of the flat??? I haven't done too many briskets. I don't know. Make some chili?

Cheers

Gordi,
that is a terrible hi-jack, it really deserves to be it's own thread. Now, I would set the tri-tips and the ribs on the grate. They should all fit. I do ribs across the middle, tri-tips on the far side, smoke for a couple hours with the ribs shingled one on top of the other for that time. They will shrink, as will the tri-tips. After a couple hours, go for unshingleing the racks and let them run until done. I like tri-tips smoked to 130F or so, so I keep them on the far side of the kettle and monitor temps.

I have also cooked putting the ribs on first, run for two hours then place tri-tips on at 2 hour mark and smoke for 3 hours until ribs are done along with tri-tips. Then maybe sear if needed.

Back