MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Cross organization cooks

How do you feel about cooking in contests run by the different organizations?

For instance, do you only participate in contests within one sanctioning body for the sake of points and consistent rules? Or do you cook across the spectrum of events and gun for the $$$ regardless of the organization?

Texas Gulf Coast and IBCA are the ones I'll cook. I'd have to put on my long distance traveling shoes to do KCBS events on any regular basis. There are a handful of smaller Texas organizations a fella could cook with if he took a notion. There's a lot to said for similar rules.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We have to put on our long-distance traveling shoes to do KCBS events on a regular basis!
We'll cook IBCA when they're here, or when they figure in our ToY race or if we're warming up and need practice for a dual event. Right now, our team's primary focus lies on our ToY race, qualifying for the Jack -- and possibly even trying to crack KCBS ToY's top 20. An event's location and payouts are part of the factors that go into the decisionmaking on where to go next, but the primary team goals are always in place.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

We try to spread it out as much as we can and I try do do some of the bigger contest Personally I feel like it has help me become a better Q'er because if I only do the smaller & same ones am I really doing good or have I just picked up on what the local's like?

I would like to hit as many qualifiers as I can to try and make it to the Royal & Jack two big goals

And because I was hood winked into this president thing I haft to do my fair share of gulf coast events which stinks because I would really love to be in Bixby next weekend
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustaway View Post
And because I was hood winked into this president thing .....
Heh - I know that feeling
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Ditto

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Triple ditto!

I cook as many FBA contests as I can, gunning for TOTY points. I try to cook every KCBS contest in our state that doesn't conflict with FBA contests, which I believe totals about 4 or 5. During the summer when contests slow down here in FLA, I travel to TN, GA, SC/NC to do some.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Triple ditto!

I cook as many FBA contests as I can, gunning for TOTY points. I try to cook every KCBS contest in our state that doesn't conflict with FBA contests, which I believe totals about 4 or 5. During the summer when contests slow down here in FLA, I travel to TN, GA, SC/NC to do some.
And even survive a broken neck to go back and do it again the next year!!!! (Lawrenceburg, TN)
Hope to see you somewhere this year, Rob; maybe in Lnychburg?
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
And even survive a broken neck to go back and do it again the next year!!!! (Lawrenceburg, TN)
Hope to see you somewhere this year, Rob; maybe in Lnychburg?
Lol that was one of those "Life Lessons". Hope to be back again this year too.
It would be great to catch up with you again Mark. Lynchburg sounds great, I'll see what I can do!
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

We cook all the KCBS events in Georgia plus a few. I maintain an FBA membership too and plan to catch a couple of those contests next winter.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

We cook NEBS, KCBS and we have cooked Kell's BOTB twice. We also have helped to cook MIM twice as well.
I'd love to get to FBA or CBBQA or IBCA/any Texas event, but haven't financially been able to do that yet. There's still hope.

The reasons we do this, and it's starting to sound SO cliche, is to HAVE FUN WITH OUR FRIENDS AND OUR FAMILY and to PROMOTE OUR SPORT/HOBBY.
basically...
WE LOVE TO COMPETE IN BBQ/GRILLING EVENTS!

We do small contests with NO money, and we do large contests with a LOT of money.
It basically depends on the organizer, the integrity of the contest, and if we have enough money to do it.
Then throw in whether or not it gets us to the Invitationals.

If there were MORE contests in our area, REGARDLESS OF SANCTIONING BODY, we would do them too.
Rub, wanna fly up heah?
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

I live in Iowa and there are really only KCBS events here. Additionally there are probably over a hundred KCBS sanctioned events in the states surrounding Iowa, taking up probably every weekend from March to November. So I guess for me it is a matter of convenience, attending as many contests as feasible closest to our homebase to reduce transportation costs. If all the sudden the "Inter-Galactic BBQ Association" starting sanctioning events in and around central Iowa, I would probably attend those as well.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote