MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #8971
smokingj
Full Fledged Farker

I've always found the lighter the smoke the better the taste. I'm trying to eat food not take pics. The coffee can method just slows down the rate the fuel burns giving a longer burn. Be warned though that can give you hot spots on certain parts of your grill as the coals burn since it's not uniform across the grate.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #8972
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobint View Post
Very interesting. I will try this out. I don't have a problem at all (use plain charcoal briquettes). But this option (if it works well) has the benefit of providing you with a clock. So based on the speed that fire moves, you can place wood chunks along the way to keep the smoke going steady or have it increase at certain times or whatever.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #8973
smokingj
Full Fledged Farker

You could use a piece of expando rolled into the same size as a coffee can that way you'll have oxygen hitting from all angles as well.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #8974
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Default New guy here!

Hello everyone!

I found this thread by doin a search for a UDS. I cant stop reading it and I started from the beginning! I have a LOT more reading to do but I wanted to post.

I went out and bought my drum yesterday from a guy for $10 with a lid. Its a food grade drum that is really clean. Theres a sticker on the outside saying it had apple juice in it. What I dont see in it is a liner. It looks like there is paint on the inside. Is that what they use for liners? Heres a couple pics.

I know I should start a big fire in it and I plan on doing that. Is there something I should do before that? I plan on going out and getting all the parts for the smoker in the next day or so. Im sure Ill have more questions on the way. And thanks for having me here!

OH, I didnt mention that I have zero experience in smoking food. I can bbq/grill, just not the smoking part.
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #8975
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

yup, looks like the dreaded red liner. i got 4 barrels earlier this year and i had them sandblasted out to remove the liner.cost me $55 total to have them blasted. mine held cranberry concentrate. i've yet to begin the builds yet due to time constraints but its my winter project. best of luck on your build.

Last edited by Big_Alvin; 12-06-2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Big_Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #8976
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

So do i just light a huge fire in it to burn the liner off? Ive read about using a weed burner from the outside to get it off?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #8977
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog's Smokewagon View Post
When was that RO on sale? I need me some!
Unfortunately, that was about 2 months ago.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #8978
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

That is the "Dreaded Red Liner". Make your intake holes first, then fill it with wood, start the fire, and point a leaf blower at the holes once the fire is going. If you're lucky, this will remove most of the liner. Of course, all this needs to be done outside, away from trees, houses, cars, etc. If you can get an unlined drum for three times the price you'll be better off.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #8979
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Worth View Post
That is the "Dreaded Red Liner". Make your intake holes first, then fill it with wood, start the fire, and point a leaf blower at the holes once the fire is going. If you're lucky, this will remove most of the liner. Of course, all this needs to be done outside, away from trees, houses, cars, etc. If you can get an unlined drum for three times the price you'll be better off.
Im having a hard time finding unlined drums. The ones I have found have had chemicals in them like linex and oil.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #8980
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Worth View Post

Have plenty of beer on hand to do this
If ya have room, ya can lay it on it's side and after 1/2 hour or so,slowly roll so you are burning a different area.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #8981
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog's Smokewagon View Post
Well here it is, finally finished it friday night after work. Did a seasoning burn same night held it at 350 for about 3 hours then opened it up and let lit burn all night. Was at 100 next morning almost no charcoal left. It has a nice beautiful black coating on the inside now.

First cook today. 5lb boston butt. Put it on about noon held 275 under center of grate for 7 1/2 hours til meat temp hit 195. Rested 30min and pulled. Man I love this smoker. Only a sandwich bag full of meat left after dinner!

Thanks for all the info Brothers in BBQ.

Very nice job
Nice UDS except for the scarlet A.

GEAUX TIGERS-WHOOP 'EM AGAIN
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #8982
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_1 View Post
Im having a hard time finding unlined drums. The ones I have found have had chemicals in them like linex and oil.

I got one that had windshield washer fluid in it, and it wasn't a lined drum. Mine is fine and only took the time of a fire inside of it, then a clean out of the ash residue with soapy water.

Any good hot fire will take care of any oil or chemical, IMHO... and followed by a empty run of a seasoning smoke will coat the insides quite well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg That is hot! (Medium) (2).JPG (65.3 KB, 763 views)
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #8983
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Burn it out, clean out the residue. A steel barrel is not a sponge,it doesn't absorb liquid.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #8984
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

I have a UDS made from an open-top drum that held wheel bearing grease and one made from a closed-top drum that held hydraulic oil. You can read the MSDS on these products. Once burned and cleaned, these drums are at least as safe as those that have had the red liner burned out, IMHO. If you're queasy about the prior contents of your drum, spend the extra $$$ and get a new unlined one.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #8985
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Mine had diesel oil in it. Did a really good wash, 2 burns, sanded the inside, got the left over residue out and then seasoned. Those barrels, as far as I know, don't absorb the chemicals. Do yourself a favor and have the red liner sand blasted if you're gonna keep that barrel......

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker