Opinions needed

amg1444

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I need some opinions Brethern. The guy that bought my holland grill today expressed interest in a trade for my smoker. He is trying to sell a 2yr old Traeger Lil' Tex Elite on CL for $500, comes with cover and front shelf. He offered me his grill and a TBD value of cash. Am I crazy for considering this? I realy like mine, but we have a 4 year old and 9 month old twins, so free time comes at a premium. What are your thoughts? Would I be making a mistake with the Traeger? Being a newbie to smoking, I think I'd get more out of the Traeger then mine. Thought and opinions greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 253
Pellet grills require electricity IMO it is an electric smoker, Pellets are propitiatory fuel you can't run down to the local store to but a sack full like you can with charcoal. If it was me I'd build a UDS pretty much set & forget for the most part so you would have more free time with your curtain climbers and more free cash to spoil 'em rotten

I had a Bandera that sat pretty much unused for 2 years because I couldn't dedicate the time to use it. My BBQ life vastly improved after I got my 1st WSM. There are some people that love pellet poopers, and you may be one. Go with your gut.
PS If you like strong smoke taste I have heard that the pellet grill would not be good for you.

Kids

Kids will be grown and gone (and you'll be broke) in a flash. Hang on to your good toys. Steel, coal and wood will be there after your kiddos have your credit cards at college. Electronics will be shot by then. Quality never goes out of style

That cooker is sweet. I wouldn't even consider the trade but, that's just my 2 cents.

I have an offset and a traeger. I got my traeger (Texas Elite) with a cover and front shelf on CL for $600 so a Lil Tex seems high to me. That being said, you can find a treater whenever. I would keep what you got.

a lil' tex can be had at a costco road show for that price, warrantied, with the best return policy in. the. world.

hell no. i frankly think the chargriller pellet grill, roughly same size, at lowe's, is better made than the traeger. i owned the texas for two years.

his trager for the grill in the picture? again, hell no.

if it were a Traeger that was made here, i might be tempted. and i really don't care for them in the first place.

BUT from what i have heard and read about the new ones that are made in China, well that temptation is far away in a safe place. YMMV

Keep that Santa Maria! Pick up a WSM or do the UDS.

Thanks for all the follow up. As far as I know, it was built in the US. I not going to do the trade. To hard to give the ol girl away.

If I were you I would hold onto your current cooker. If you really like it why mess with getting rid of it? You will most likely wish you hadn't and kick yourself down the road.

Keep that thing. Something that is unique and original(like yours) I see as far more valuable than something you see all the time sold at stores.

Build a UDS for a cheep, simple, efficient smoker.

I definitely agree with the others, keep your cooker and build a UDS or find a Traeger down the road if your interested in a pellet cooker. Your cooker is very unique!

Back