• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beans

417bullelk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am looking to do some killer beans in the Bandera along with the pork shoulder and fattys. I checked the Brethren receipes and only found ONE. What is up with that? Is that the best we can come up with? Please tell me you guys can do better!! I am looking for some beans like I had from Joes Real BBQ here in AZ. They had little piesces of meat in them, had a smoky BBQ flavor in the sauce, had a few different kinds of beans in the mix.

I am just not sure where to start.

Dustin,

My favorite beans are simple:

Pintos
Water
Smoked Pork Hocks / Neckbones
Salt / Pepper
Your favorite tomato based sauce
Smoke

Soak the pintos overnite. Simmer the hocks / neckbones till they fall apart (this will take a while, I use a crock). Separate the bones, skin, big clumps of fat.

Take the meat, that stock and add pintos (I use 4 hocks and 2 1/2 cups beans) cover with water and simmer till you get a nice thick starchy sauce outta the liquid. Then you'll know the beans are cooked and tender.

Salt/Pepper and your sauce to taste ( I use no sauce but some people like a tomato kinda flavor to the beans). I put them to the smoke as the beans are about done for a coupla hours.

I have used this recipe I found on the internet before and enjoyed the results. I used a cast iron skillet and put the beans under some ribs I was smoking to capture the fat as I didn't have any meat or fat to put in the beans. I left the beans in the Bandera the whole time I smoked the ribs (6 hours).

1 lb. navy beans
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/3 cup sorghum
1/4 lb. burnt ends or other barbecued meat scraps
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Salt

1. Wash and sort beans, discarding any stones or shriveled beans. Put beans in large sauce-pan, cover with water (about 3 cups), and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, adding more water if necessary (up to 2 cups), until beans are tender, 1–1 1/2 hours. Drain, reserving water.
2. Preheat oven to 275°. Layer beans, sugar, onions, sorghum, and burnt ends or other meat scraps, ending with a top layer of beans, in a bean pot or ovenproof dish. Stir in soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and salt to taste. Add bean water and up to 1 cup more water to cover. Bake uncovered for 5–6 hours, stirring occasionally. If beans start to get too brown on top, cover with a lid or aluminum foil.

This recipe was first published in Saveur in May/June 1998.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my favorite.

BBQ Baked Beans

• 2 T Olive Oil
  • 1 Large Onion, Chopped
  • 1 Cup Green Peppers, Chopped
  • 1/2 Cup Garlic, Minced
  • 1 Pound Hot Italian Sausage
  • 1 #10 Can Baked Beans
  • 1 Cup BBQ Sauce
  • 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Mustard
  • 1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
  • 1 T Chili Powder
  • 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
  • 1 t Rub
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add the onions and peppers, salt and pepper and cook till soft.
  3. Toss in the garlic and cook for one more minute.
  4. Crumble the sausage into the veggies and cook, chopping the meat into small pieces. Cook till the pink disappears.
  5. Drain off the bean liquid and add to the cooked veggies and sausage.
  6. Turn the heat to medium-low and add the rest of the ingredients.
  7. Serve when hot ( it never hurts to let the flavors blend overnight).
Found at : http://www.lostnationvt.com/beans.htm

Edited by Admin: Put recipe instream.

This one I got from the internet a few years ago and has been a favourite. I just chuck a couple of pans of these in the pit with whatever I am cooking. I've done them in the oven as well .... no problem.
Bar-B-Que Baked Beans

1 100 oz can beans in tomato sauce
2 large yellow onions chopped
2/3 cup BBQ sauce (your favourite)
1 each red, yellow and green pepper diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
2 T dry mustard
1 t black pepper
1 t chili powder
2 cups barbecued beef or pork chopped

combine all ingredients in a large (more than 5 litre) ovenproof dish or pot. I use a half restaurant pan.

Split, stem and seed 3 jalapeño peppers and place on the top of the beans.

Bake at 250º for 4 – 6 hours or until the onions and peppers are tender.

If BBQ meat is not available, smoked bacon, cubed, can be substituted or used with the BBQ meat. If you wish, hickory smoke flavouring can be added to taste.

Serves approximately 25

This one I got from the internet a few years ago and has been a favourite. I just chuck a couple of pans of these in the pit with whatever I am cooking. I've done them in the oven as well .... no problem.
Bar-B-Que Baked Beans

1 100 oz can beans in tomato sauce
2 large yellow onions chopped
2/3 cup BBQ sauce (your favourite)
1 each red, yellow and green pepper diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
2 T dry mustard
1 t black pepper
1 t chili powder
2 cups barbecued beef or pork chopped

combine all ingredients in a large (more than 5 litre) ovenproof dish or pot.

Split, stem and seed 3 jalapeño peppers and place on the top of the beans.

Bake at 250º for 4 – 6 hours or until the onions and peppers are tender.

If BBQ meat is not available, smoked bacon, cubed, can be substituted or used with the BBQ meat. If you wish, hickory smoke flavouring can be added to taste.

Serves approximately 25

Here's one more for the bean thread. Since you are building these from scratch, they need to be started on the stovetop and are great when finished off in your smoker. The twice smoked hocks make a world of difference and give a different flavor than using chopped brisket.

d02b78ed.jpg

These beans were inspired by my friend Tom, who is quite the hand at cooking both inside and outside.

3 cups washed Pinto beans
3 or 4 twice smoked ham hocks (or shanks) (or few strips bacon) (or 1/3 lb salt pork)
1 onion, chopped and sweated.
2 green onions with tops, chopped and sweated
2 split and seeded jalapenos (or serrano peppers), chopped
2 or 3 mild green chilis like Anaheim or Big Jim, roasted, skinned then chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed into paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 T. dry mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. chili powder “Top Hat” is my favorite
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes (optional)
1 or 2 t Summer Savory
1 t Epazote
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
Sriracha “hot” chili sauce served at the table.

Cover beans with water and soak overnight. For this years crop, soak about 3 or 4 hours only.

Drain the water off of the beans, put in large pot and cover with fresh water by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add the ham hocks, onions, garlic, peppers, bay leaf, mustard, Summer Savory, epazote, black pepper and chili powder. The beans can cook on the stovetop or be moved to the cooker, with the lid on but ajar. Add more water anytime during the cook as needed. Lastly, add the Worcestershire and tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more. Remove the hocks and pick the meat off of the bone, return to beans. Salt to taste at the end to avoid making the skin on the beans tough.

To reduce heat, use regular canned tomatoes and/or omit the serranos.

For smoky beans, move the Dutch oven into your cooker and remove the cover for the final hour or two, keeping your eye on the liquid level, adding water as needed. (The twice smoked hocks will give the beans a small amount of smoke flavor without extra smoke from the cooker.)

Who has IL Bob's bean recipe?

Those things are awesome!!

This thread has Roadmap written all over it.

here's some for you

beans with a chopped fattie smoked for 4 hours

Attachments

• beans.jpg
    beans.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 388
Now thats what I was hoping for. Nice job guys. This gives me a GREAT starting point. Being one to never follow a receipe to the tee, I will usually end up with my own variation. I am liking the idea of the smoked fatty being addded. Hocks are a must. I do plan to put the beans in the 'dera under the pork roast and 2 racks of babybacks.

The pictures are a GREAT addition. Thanks again guys, I knew the brothers would come through. This is going to be my first attempt at beans my way, in the pit. Wish me luck!!

I base mine on the recipe in the BBQ-USA book (more beans & chilli heat less sweetness). No shortcuts (ie canned beans) Tastes great.

The last time that I did beans, I put them in a cast iron dutch oven right above the water pan and let a butt and all the rest of my meat drip into it the whole time. It was awesome. Just make sure not to use any poultry products. Plenty of smoke flavor. Maybe too much for some so you may wish to put the lid on and move it to the top if using a vertical smoker after a few hours.

Klondike Baked Beans

Doing a "Dogpile" search and found this on massrecipes.com this morning. I have used it before but could never find a reference. Dynamite beans!

Klondike Baked Beans

2 pounds navy beans
chicken stock
1 pound lean unsliced bacon -- cubed
1/2 pound thinly sliced bacon
2 bay leaves -- crushed
6 stalks celery -- chopped
1 bunch parsley
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
6 cloves
3 teaspoons salt
6 large tomatoes -- chopped
1 can tomato paste
3 large onions -- chopped
3 large onions -- diced
2 cups molasses
1 cup sherry
ham hocks -- see note

Soak the navy beans overnight in cold water.

Drain beans add chicken stock (enough to cover beans by 2 inches), simmer with the bay leaves, parsley, celery, garlic, oregano, chili powder, cloves and salt. Simmer for approx 1 1/2 hours or until the skin breaks on a bean when you blow on it. Drain and reserve liquid

Place the beans in a bean pot or earthenware casserole, add the cubed bacon.

Take a few cups of the reserved bead liquid and bring to a simmer. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped onions, diced onions. Heat. When the mixture is hot add the molasses and reheat. Pour over the beans in the bean pot.

Put the lid on and bake for 6 hours at 250 degrees. Check after 3 hours to see if there is enough liquid, if add some of the remaining bean liquid.

After 5 hours again check liquid and cover the top of the beans with the sliced bacon. Cover and continue cooking for 45 minutes.

Remove the lid and place under the broiler. Broil for l5 minutes to crisp the bacon.
Note: I will sometimes add a couple of smoked ham hocks to the recipe during the first step. When done I will remove the hocks and add the meat back to the beans.

Note: Cooking low & slow adds to the flavour! I sometimes skip the bacon strips and the broiler.

kcquer said:
Who has IL Bob's bean recipe?

Those things are awesome!!

This thread has Roadmap written all over it.

I have it, but I can't find it! Aaarrrggghhhhh!!!

I'll keep looking...

I have it, but I can't find it! Aaarrrggghhhhh!!!

I'll keep looking...

Thanks Ron, you da man!! I've been wanting to make those since I had them at Greg's, I know they will be a hit with the family.

I find that if you cook some ribs "over" the dutch oven in the smoker, take all the smoked , trimmings from the ribs (spares) chop, and add to them. Also, I use my BBQ sauce and at least a can or two of crushed pineapple as well as a can or two of Rotels. Also, I start with Bush's . Starting from scratch beans is fun, but not necessary! Also, don't be afraid to toss in a bunch of your favorite rub and some mustard!

It ain't exactly a recipe. But you can't hardly scew up baked beans!

Wow all these bean recipes look so good. how do I choose on the one to make next. thanks to all who provided a list. I will try them all.

Scotty d

Lots of great ideas and recipes.
Beans are so forgiving to cook :lol:

My goal is to not overcook them--I personally don't like "mush".

I cook them, no matter what type of beans, till they start to soften and plump up. Then I add meats, onions, first layer of spices, and everything except tomatoes or acidic ingredients.
As they become "edible", but "crunchy", I add tomatoes and tomato sauces to pintos and dark beans. I check seasoning and make final adjustments.
While they are still identifiable as beans, I pull them off and serve or let cool for storage.

I love to use ham, pulled pork, and spare rib trimmings for traditional bean flavors and some brisket or beef for a meaty kick to the taste and texture. Even been known to crumble in some Fatty :lol:

Fun food to experiment with and cheap :lol:

TIM

Im going to do some beans soon and I found this thread.

Couple of questions: should I give the Butt a little bit of head start time so as the drippings are a little more "done". You know what I mean? Im a little leary of raw pork drippings.

2. I usually spray my butts with apple juice during the cook. Is this okay to have apple juice to drip down into the beans?

Ron L, did you ever find that recipe?

Back