• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grilling steaks and scallops what wine should be served?

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Okay winos front and center. I have some buddies coming over tomorrow night and the menu is:

Choice cut 8 oz beef tenderloin done Caveman style, seasoning kosher salt and pepper
Fresh scallops seasoned with EVOO kosher salt and pepper grilled Hot n fast
Baby reds par boiled and then layered in a pan with buttah pads and fresh chives. Finished on the grill with a touch of hickory smoke for flavor

Now what wine to serve? Should it be red or white and what winery?

Thanks in advance

a nice crisp white with scallops and for convo after dinner. Red with meat. I prefer Italian wines and have been fond of Sauvignon Blancs this summer for whites and am a big fan of Brunello's but they are normally $$. Go with a nice Rosso di Montalcino such as Uccelliera one of my favories

Since you are doing delicate scallops and a nice piece of red meat I would go with a light red wine. Something like a Beaujolais would work. You can serve it room temperature or even serve it slightly chilled. It should pair well with the scallops and the steaks.

On another note, I am not a big fan of them but Rose (need the little hypen) has been very popular up here as a summer wine. Sort of best of both worlds

I know this guy pretty well.:shock:

http://www.stallerestate.com/wine-list/

White:
Rock Valley White, An off dry white wine with exotic aromas of tropical
pineapple

Red:
Estate Reserve, Medium bodied dry red, slightly spicy with a hint of oak

Neutral for both:
Maiden Blush, A semi-dry blush wine with a strong strawberry aroma and
subtle floral and citrus tones

Sounds like a delicious meal pending.:-D

Have both and let your guests pick the one they want. I'm not a follower of the red wine with meat and white wine with sea food school of thought. Sterling winery from Napa Valley has two of my favorites. Their Meritage is the best red under $40 IMO. It sells here for about $15. The Pinot Griggio is very nice. Not too sweet with pear and apple flavors. It also sells for about $15 around here.

What time can I come Over? :pray:
You can split the difference and have a White Zinfandel available. I prefer Sutter Home. Or a Shiraz such as from Yellow Tail - lighter red.

After dinner to cut and grease taste from the steak a good Merlot. BV is my choice there.

Hope this helps

Oh I forgot to mention these guys drink Crown Royal Black before dinner and after with a fine cigar.

Where is my invite lol... Love me a nice dinner, a good drink and a nice cigar to finish

Since you are doing delicate scallops and a nice piece of red meat I would go with a light red wine. Something like a Beaujolais would work. You can serve it room temperature or even serve it slightly chilled. It should pair well with the scallops and the steaks.

I agree, my go to wine for the summer is Messina Hof's Beau: http://store.messinahof.com/browse.cfm/beau/4,160.html

If you can't find that one, another to look out for is: Louis Jadot Beaujolais: http://www.louisjadot.com/en/wine/beaujolais-villages-red.php

If they are drinking crown royal black before and after and you are serving the scallops and steak on the same plate, I would amend my recommendation of a Beaujolais and go with a nice Pinot Noir. The Pinot Noir will be a little bit heavier than the Beaujolais but still goes well with the delicate flavors of seafood. The big thing with pairing reds with seafood is to not use spicy seasoning on it as it may lead to a metallic aftertaste which is very unpleasant.

I can't really recommend a good winery because I am not sure what the stores around you carry.

Although you still can go wrong with a good Beaujolais with this combination as well.

I like red, I always tell people to drink the wine you like don't worry about the pairing.

That's great advice right there too! I will always pick a red wine over a white...don't mind tasting a white now and then or if it's called for in a recipe, I'll surely drink the rest. ;)

Back