Coon

My Grandpa used to say "Have you ever seen a raven eating a raccoon? If it isn't good enough for a raven, it's not good enough for me." So, I've never eaten raccoon.

I have never tried it either. My buddy traps and says he sells the coon carcuss to people that eat it. I never have. But, hell, it is a piece of meat, I will try almost anything once. I won't mess up my pit with it, but I will eat it from someone else's.

They are to cute, armadillos and possums are good eating!

Thank goodness I have a good enough job I can now eat the lowly pig. No coons for this Tennessee guy.

I have tasted it a couple times.I did not care for it.Once it was cooked on a grill/smoker the other time it was baked in the oven with sweet potatoes and such.Just tasted kinda greasy and funky to me.:twitch:

I have tried it once. Wasn't fond of it.

Of course, how well could teenagers cook one over a campfire?

They cooked coon on one episode of Jaime Oliver's American Road Trip. The people he was with were hard-core coon hunters, who had never actually eaten coon, so he talked them into cooking and eating it. IIRC, they seemed to like it.

CD

Wonder if brining would help with that?

Have never had it but i'm game for trying "bar-be-coon".

It could not hurt.I guess if ya cooked it til fall apart tender and added enough rub and sauce it would be ok.

Back