KCBS Membership

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Just got my KCBS Membership packet in the mail this afternoon... really fast turn-around time. I was surprised. But what really surprised me was the Bullsheet. I'd heard about it but I gotta say, there was some really good stuff in there. I haven't read it all yet but I liked the cover article on getting sponsors for your team to support your obsession! Just was interested to know if everyone who receives it enjoys it or if it's something that's better some months than others. To me, if they're always this interesting, the paper itself will be worth the cost of membership.

the paper itself will be worth the cost of membership
It is, without a doubt.

That sponshorship article leaves a lot to be desired compared to most of their excellent work--IMHO :lol:

TIM

A lot depends on how familiar you get with the competitors in other areas. In the dead of winter do you really care what's going on in Florida or Arizona? If you don't you'll line the birdcage with the paper! :D

The article on "sponsorship" was interesting but that kind of sponsorship ("in kind" instead of money) is, in my opionion, marginally useful. The sponsor gets basically free advertising and you're still paying the bills out of your pocket. How much beer will your and your team actually drink compared to the advertising $$$ you just gave away?

Same with charcoal - yeah, we all use it but how much advertising and "good will" does Duraflame or Kingsford get for pimping you with a couple hundred pounds of burnt wood??

$$$ to pay entry fees, meat, and for real supplies like juice, marinade, sugar, honey, etc. is what I can use. Screw ho-ing for beer companies and charcoal manufacturers - hell, they bring a ton or two to a lot of events and GIVE it away!! I only use 3/4 of a bag of charcoal per cook - why do I need 500# and give up advertising potential?

I'm really not dis'ing it - but it's not nearly as useful as the author tries to make it out to be. Real dollars will get my attention and my hard work. If you could hit up a local grocery or supply company for the meat or other supplies you'd be way ahead.

He was right about he need to get over being bashful. You are offering true value for their support. Ya gotta get out there and sell yourself! :D

Yeah, losing the bashfulness was a good point. I was already thinking screw beer, charcoal, etc. I'm going for cash. Maybe I'm just happy to see my first issue! :lol: Good points!

Back