MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #61
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Got quite a bit accomplished today, think I will have the fabrication done with another work day or two at the most!

Started off by building the top rack.

Added the handles on the racks.

Added a shelf underneath the cooking chamber. Other than maybe throwing some wood on it, I doubt that I will use it to often, but it is more for bracing the legs than anything else.

Next I used a hole saw to cut my air intake holes. There are 2 more holes on the left side.

The firebox door marked out. Also there is a small 1/4" hole directly above each 3" hole, this is where I will attach the spinning plates that I will use to control the air flow.

Firebox door hinged and cutout.

Thanks to TTNuge for stopping by today to take a look! I can't wait until you get your metal so we can see another build in progress. Let me know when you are ready to give the MIG welder a try, I've got plenty of scrap that we can practice on!

Not to much left to do:
Firebox Door Edging
Firebox Door Handle/Latch
Firebox Wood/Coal Grate
Shelf

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #62
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Great matalwork!

One question... will you be using drip pans on the baffle or is there a drip drain i haven't seen yet?

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #63
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for taking time to chat and shoot the bull, doesn't look like I got you too far behind. I have to tell you, this smoker is even more impressive in person, it's hard to get a handle on how deep that tank is, that bottom shelf is going to hold some serious meat.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #64
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Great matalwork!

One question... will you be using drip pans on the baffle or is there a drip drain i haven't seen yet?
I will just be using drip pans.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #65
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

That has come together very nicely. I am glad you ended up getting that tank, as the size of it looks perfect.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #66
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You're moving very fast with this build, speers! Just about blinked and you're practically done! Very impressive!!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #67
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
That has come together very nicely. I am glad you ended up getting that tank, as the size of it looks perfect.
Although I initially had my doubts, I couldn't be any happier with the size. TTNuge and I were discussing the size today while he was over. We came to the conclusion that we should be able to get 20 - 25 8lb pork butts in there.

It is turning out to be just the right size, big enough to handle all the cooking I should ever need, but just the right size for my concrete patio!

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #68
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Lookin really nice. I need to practice with my mig some more before I attempt a build. Thanks for posting this.
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser
Black Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #69
Greyeagle
Knows what a fatty is.

I was wondering if anyone has ever added a pipe to mist water on the diverter plate? A full length pipe with small holes drilled towards the plate. KC
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #70
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
I was wondering if anyone has ever added a pipe to mist water on the diverter plate? A full length pipe with small holes drilled towards the plate. KC
I have never seen one, but it is an interesting idea. I know when you have several butts or briskets cooking you will get quite a bit of moisture from the fat dripping on the diverter plate and then steaming up.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #71
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Spending the day with my boys, so this is all I am planning on doing today.

Got the air intake plates marked out, this is one of the six.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #72
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Coming along nicely.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #73
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Getting it done! I like it man. I like it alot. keep it coming. I can't wait to get back on mine once school starts back after the first. Everything is at the school shop and I just can't bring myself to go to "work" over the holidays for free. :)

Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #74
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Snuck in a couple hours of work on the cooker today. Didn't get as much accomplished as I would have liked, but I did get the firebox door edging welded on and got all 6 of my air intake spinners attached and functioning.

Forgot to get a pic of the firebox edging, can do that another day.

Two of the air intake spinning plates are installed and working.

Here is close up shot of the spring loaded contraption I came up with to hold the plate open. First you have the bolt that goes through the holes in the firebox and the plate, then you have a flat washer, a spring, a nut, a lock washer, and another nut. This was just to show what it looked like, I actually tightened the spring almost all the way down to get the plate to stay open.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #75
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Hey, I meant to post in your other thread as an after thought, have you thought about hi temp painting the tank body since it will never get hot enough to burn it off, and then for the firebox heat it up with a weed burner or rose bud torch until dark blue and then apply either pam spray or lard to season it and keep it from rusting?

I did this with my SJ UDS barrel and 2 years later it barely has any spots that are rusting... If you do it hot enough it won't be sticky at all, just like a CI skillet. If it doesn't work you can always reheat it with the torch to burn it off and then paint it...

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote