Weber Smokey Joe Platinum - Opinions

cbpeck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My local store has a Smokey Joe Platinum on the shelf in an opened box. I kinda like the idea of an 18" table top grill, so I'm thinking about going in and haggling with them on the price, even though my wife might kill me if I brought home another Weber.

I know they're built a lot like the new SJG's with the vents on the side, and that the design is just "ok." The Weber rep said she "thinks" they still make them, but they aren't listed on the company's website. Then again, initially she didn't even know what a Smokey Joe was. She was getting it confused with a WSM. :doh:

Any other feedback?

Thanks in advance.

I love mine. Just took a one week vacation and cooked nine meals on it. I cooked both direct and indirect for 5-9 people. To me it is the ultimate vacation/tailgating grill. It has it's own personality as far as the fire goes as compared to a one-touch kettle but once you get it figured out you will be hooked!

What is the difference between the Gold and Platinum models?

Gold is 14.5" diameter (same as Silver) & Platinum is 18.5" diameter. :becky:

Still not sold on the side venting, though.

Also, everybody who reviewed it on Amazon says it has been discontinued. :doh:

gold is a 14 in model with vents on the side. the platinum is a 18 in model with vents on the side. both have a wire loop that holds the lid down making it more portable.

I don't think the sjp has been manufactured since about 2007 or so. It was once known as a Jumbo Joe. If you are not familiar, it is essentially an 18 inch version of the 14 inch smokey Joe gold. Ace hardware had a boatload of them at one time and every few months I hear about someone stumbling into one at an Ace new in the box.

Just called Weber again and got a rep who knew what she was talking about.

She said that the Smokey Joe Platinum is "obsolete." She also said that the grates are a different size & part number than the standard 18.5" grates, but that they'll keep selling the correct replacements for a long, long time to come.

I think it's time to go haggle. :becky:

Oh, I so want one of those. I didn't think they were made, anymore. I have a SJ Gold for camping, but need more cooking area for campout gatherings.

CD

Oh, I so want one of those. I didn't think they were made, anymore. I have a SJ Gold for camping, but need more cooking area for campout gatherings.

CD

Thanks for posting. What do you think of the overall design of the gold/platinum models? Are the side vents a real concern?

Thanks for posting. What do you think of the overall design of the gold/platinum models? Are the side vents a real concern?

Not from my experience. My SJ Silver and SJ Gold cooked the same for me.

CD

caseydog,

It is new in its opened box at a local store.

If I end up passing on it do you want it?

How much is it worth to you?

Shipping from WA to TX could be a &!+@#

I'm not looking to profit, just thought I might help you out if I decide to pass and you're very interested.

I also thought about getting a Smokey Joe for a camping BBQ but instead bought this Chargriller table top BBQ which is larger, has cast iron grates and a slide out drawer for fuel and a hinged lid too. No need to remove the lid and cooking grate to light up or dump ashes. It was only about $69
6-19-11002.jpg

They had the original sticker price of $69.99 on it. At first they told me they wouldn't mark it down at all because it was a "collector's item."

I kinda scoffed at that and then called the company manager at the other location and he agreed to come down 15% to $60. I was hoping to pay $50, but decided to go ahead and take it for $60 rather than waiting another month or two to try to get him down another $10.

I figure that just about anything made in the USA is worth that much these days. Here's a photo of the dusty box:

Attachments

• Weber Smokey Joe Platinum @ Ranch & Home - Pasco, WA.jpg
    Weber Smokey Joe Platinum @ Ranch & Home - Pasco, WA.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 196
I should add that the vent is stamped DO, making it a 2005 model, the same as my SJS.

My wife might not be too happy about this purchase, so there's a possibility this thing might come up for sale in the next week or two. :doh:

Last edited:
Bought mine in 2003, perfect for camping, the beach, tailgating, or just a day trip. The side vents aren't ideal, but work fine. Nice score!

I also thought about getting a Smokey Joe for a camping BBQ but instead bought this Chargriller table top BBQ which is larger, has cast iron grates and a slide out drawer for fuel and a hinged lid too. No need to remove the lid and cooking grate to light up or dump ashes. It was only about $69
6-19-11002.jpg

That's also the firebox for the char griller smoker

images

If Pasco wasn't all the way over on the other side of the State, I'd run out and buy it tomorrow. I have 3, and absolutely love them. A new one in the box is a true rarity, and should not go to someone who doesn't appreciate what they are getting.

You really need to negotiate with the wife... :becky:

I think she'll be ok with it when I tell her we need it for the camping trip we're taking with her extended family next month. That's my plan. :grin:

I'm kinda tempted to keep it new in the box, but I don't think it'll ever be worth more than the $60 I paid for it, and it will be a great addition to my arsenal. I'm pleased to be its first owner, and am looking forward to its inaugural cook.

Back