MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

Default freezing meats...

Will it affect the quality of your end product if I put my meats in a deep freezer, thaw it, and then smoke it?

Or is it better to buy the meat when you need to use it, and never freeze it?

(this question is in reference to pork butts, chicken, and baby-backs).

Thanks in advance.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have done it both ways and have had good results. There is something very satisfying in getting meat at a great price and stocking the freezer. We just did that with CAB chuck roasts - I have 6 sitting in my freezer right now. They were a great price and I couldn't pass them up.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

I don't mind freezing pork and beef but I do not freeze chickens if I can help it. The blood in the bone turns the bone dark when frozen and the cooked and it is just not appetizing to me to bite into chicken and see a black bone. Frying, smoking or grilling I use fresh chicken if I can.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Freezing physically changes the meat and breaks it down. How much of a noticeable difference there is depends on how you are cooking, what you are cooking and you. Some people can not tell the difference or do not mind. Whether this compensates for the bulk-purchase discount is up to you.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I buy meats a on sale and freeze them all the time. I put a butt in the freezer yesterday, in the cryovac package it came in. It will be just fine when I thaw it and smoke it -- even if it is six months from now.

The trick to freezing is to remove air from whatever you freeze it in. I have a Foodsaver I use to vacuum-seal meats before they go to the freezer. No air, no freezer burn.

The only chicken I freeze is boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I seal them individually in pint Foodsaver bags so I can pull one out for a quick dinner whenever I want one. If I plan to grill regular chicken parts, I buy them fresh.

I buy family packs of steaks, and put them in individual Foodsaver bags, too. If I am hungry for a good steak, I just pull one out of the freezer, stick the bag in a pot of room temperature water, and I have a thawed steak in about 20 minutes.

Properly frozen in a vacuum sealed bag, I can't tell any difference from a fresh butt, steak or chicken breast.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

Good info!

Thanks everyone.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote