• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How long for ribs to thaw?

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got two st louis cut spare racks in the freeze, individually wrapped. How long am I looking for them to fully thaw in the fridge? I would think 24hrs would be good but when i thaw 1.5 pound ground beef packages they are still pretty frozen after only one day, I like to wait two. What averages do you guys see?

If they are cryovac packaged, just put the packages in a big pan of room temperature water, and they'll be thawed in about 30-40 minutes. If you don't have a big pan, a beer cooler or your kitchen sink will work.

Don't use hot water! Room temperature water is what you want. The more water, the better.

The water works like a heat sink, as the water temperature and meat temperature will naturally equalize much faster than the meat and air. You will end up with evenly thawed meat in a cold bath.

CD

Yes put on water to thaw. Even holding the slabs under cold running water will thaw them quickly.

I've put frozen ribs in my uds along side thawed ones when surprised by additional dinner guessed who wanted to come and they turned out great.6 hr. at 225 F.
Not ideal but they worked out.
Just saying.

RockyAthabaska
Weber 18”kettle
Weber 22.5”kettle
Performer green
Weber silver B gasser
UDS
A man never tells you anything until you contradict him.
George Bernard Shaw

I am going to smoke a rack of spares myself on Saturday and I just pulled them from the freezer (and into the fridge) an hour ago. Twenty-four hours in the refrigerator should do the trick.

I pull them from the freezer and run them under cold water for about 15 minutes to reduce the freeze, them put them in the fridge overnight, they are perfectly thawed the next morning for rub/smoker time.

Sometimes I have to thaw 12 to 16 racks at a time. I allow 3 days in the ref. Maybe it takes so long because they are all boxed together. I have used the water bath idea before and it works.

Back