Rule changes for KCBS competetions

B

BrooklynQ

There is a post on DrBBQ's blog... (his words are in italics)

"I attended the KCBS board meeting last night via the phone. This is the meeting where rule changes are discussed. There were a few small adjustments and a couple big issues. One small one that I voted against was adding the words "No par boiling or frying". I think many cooks are braising their meat and if we're going to outlaw par boiling we should probably outlaw braising too. There was no support for my thoughts, a vote was held and this passed."

I thought that BBQ was a completely different method of cooking from par-boiling and braising and that each was ALREADY outlawed by KCBS. Guess I was wrong. It seems like we can braise the meat. Do any of you competetors out there do this? Any home cooks?

"There was talk at the meetings in the field of eliminating garnish all together. There was consensus among the board that this is a major decision that requires careful consideration. The issue was tabled until next year so that all KCBS representatives can talk to the members about this all season and we will revisit it next year. I agreed with this."

Personally I like the garnish. You eat with your eyes first.

"The last issue I will discuss today is the judging instructions. There was a thought from the earlier member meetings that it would be good to eliminate the wording "5 is average". There was discussion about returning to the start at 9 way but that wasn't supported very well. The board agreed to make this change."

I'm not sure what this last paragraph means. Is 5 still average?

Thoughts guys?

Thanks for posting this -- it's good to keep up with changes, trends, and proposed changes!

I braise stew meat and beef tips but nothing that I que. There has been discussion that many competitors, in search of "cripy" chicken skin are closer to grilling the chicken than barbecue.

Dump the garnish! We don't cook lettuce. It's a distraction. Save that "eat with your eyes" for the commercial steakhouse. Judge me on my que not whether you like flat leaf parsley or green leaf lettuce best. (We had this dicussion in NJ! :D)

Any starting point is going to be a point of contention -- to say 5 is average leads to lazy judges not actually judging and just marking cards -- after all "average" isn't so bad!! Additionally, to say 9 as the start and go up or down from there is bogus, too -- if 10 is max there ain't nowhere to go. And to say that 9 (or 7 or 8) is a good starting point assumes that average competition que is above average from what you get elsewhere -- well, guys, I hate to bust your balloon but there is a LOT of mediocre competition barbecue out there.

It's always going to be subjective and the different associations are trying to get things established that at least allow everyone a level playing field.

Now these are just my opinions - I'm going to play by the rules no matter which sanctioning body I'm competing with. Our FL association has now been invited to the national meeting of the minds (KCBS, Mim, etc.) in February - if the associations are finally starting to meet together I think we're well on our way to a true national bbq championship and probably some consolidated rules -- who knows? :D

Back