MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Salvaging a Brisket

Rich's comment about knowing how to salvage a brisket got me thinking that this would be a good thread topic. We lost our's at Jefferson City... three of them! Too far done and I just made burnt ends out of them. Scored bad. So now I know to cool it down and stop the cooking process if they're overdone so they can be sliced. Sliced and cool is better than chunked and falling apart IMO. Anyone else care to discuss how to salvage a brisket... whether it be overdone, tougth, lacking in flavor... whatever the problem.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Salvaged 3 flats couple of weeks ago. I overcooked the chit outta them.

I panned them with about 2 cups of applejuice foiled tight and threw them in the oven for about 2 hrs. at I think at 225 degrees. Then ends were still burnt ends but sure the rest sure ate good..

Wouldnt work for comps. but I gave one to my son and his wife. They devoured it.

Last edited by bbqbull; 04-25-2007 at 09:53 AM..
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Kirk
Babbling Farker

I'm glad you brought this up Jeff. I've been thinking the same thing since I read Rich's post. Looking forward to the responses.
Has anyone compensated for doneness with the thickness of their slices. I hear people talking about the "pull test" when judging a brisket and I figured that if you were a little overdone you could slice a little thicker or vice versa, if you're a little underdone would you slice thinner?
Aside from painting each slice with sauce while presenting, how would you go about trying to save a dry brisket?

Old 04-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

This last weekend at Salisbury I think I kind of salvaged one. I put 2 on at 10:00PM on Friday and they were both finished by 3:45AM!! The temp never went past 300 to my knowledge and not for that long of time. I coolered them ands figured that there's no way they'll be edible by the 1:30 turn in time. I mentioned it to Tuffy of Cool Smoke (who won the event) and he told me to put them back on a low heat to make sure they are @140. One was too dry to turn in (9.5 packer cut)but the other one a 7 lb flat was not tooooo bad. Came in 30th. out of 60. At least it was not a total loss.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
...I hear people talking about the "pull test" when judging a brisket and I figured that if you were a little overdone you could slice a little thicker or vice versa, if you're a little underdone would you slice thinner?...
In judge class they discussed this exact thing. They are saying a thinner slice could be an attempt to hide it being under cooked and the thicker slice could be an attempt to hide it being over cooked.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Hey Ron,

When you say you coolered the briskets did you mean a hot or cold cooler?

I've had pork done at 6am before, what I've done is (this would work for brisket too)...

let the meat cool and then into a heavy duty plastic bag and submerge in ice. An hour or so before turn-in slice the cold pork or brisket and lay on a 1/2 sheet pan. Glaze with some hot sauce cover with foil and gently heat up the slices in your cooker. Took 2nd in pork that day.

I think thats legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Headed View Post
This last weekend at Salisbury I think I kind of salvaged one. I put 2 on at 10:00PM on Friday and they were both finished by 3:45AM!! The temp never went past 300 to my knowledge and not for that long of time. I coolered them ands figured that there's no way they'll be edible by the 1:30 turn in time. I mentioned it to Tuffy of Cool Smoke (who won the event) and he told me to put them back on a low heat to make sure they are @140. One was too dry to turn in (9.5 packer cut)but the other one a 7 lb flat was not tooooo bad. Came in 30th. out of 60. At least it was not a total loss.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyboy View Post
In judge class they discussed this exact thing. They are saying a thinner slice could be an attempt to hide it being under cooked and the thicker slice could be an attempt to hide it being over cooked.
It surely would be an attempt to compensate, but I figured it'd still be better to give them the right feel and have some doubt as opposed to slicing it in a way that accentuates the fact that your stuff ain't quite right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
I think thats legal
I assume it would be unless you run afoul of the time guidelines set for reheating.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Thanks Chris, that sound like an idea for the future. I put them in a hot cooler. Whn I took then out about 11:00AM I used the Thermapen and they were at 160*. I put them in the WSM and using the Guru set the temp to 175 which is the lowest setting. I like your idea though.
BTW, I liked the Harpoon Smoked Porter you gave me. Thanks.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

I think Chris's answer above is right, Sometimes practice taking a brisket to 220* then try to chill and reheat. Sometimes you get amazing texture with a brisket cooked like this. With a dry one you can slice and arrange it (like it's going into the box) and wrap it in foil with some liquid of your choice. Just before turn in remove from the foil and right into the box, it should stay moist.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Default How to get your GURU to Work Below 175*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Headed View Post
Thanks Chris, that sound like an idea for the future. I put them in a hot cooler. Whn I took then out about 11:00AM I used the Thermapen and they were at 160*. I put them in the WSM and using the Guru set the temp to 175 which is the lowest setting. I like your idea though.
BTW, I liked the Harpoon Smoked Porter you gave me. Thanks.
See the following for the Guru:

Cold Smoking To achieve a temperature lower than 175° for cold smoking, jerky making, or pepper drying you will need to wrap the meat and pit probes together and place inside of pit. (Aluminum foil is a good wrapper for your probes.) Set a temperature on the meat control between 110° and 210°, now power up the Competitor. You are now fooling the Competitor to work at a lower temperature because the meat control overrides the pit control. (Ramp Mode)

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
chromesporty
is one Smokin' Farker

This past weekend at Terrell I overcooked my briskets. Started them at 8:15 pm, both were about 11.5 pounds. I figured about 15 hour cook, give 'em time to rest for a 3:00 pm turn in. Just for grins, I checked the temps at 8:30 Sat morning and both were at 205.

Pulled 'em off and let them rest in a hot cooler for a couple of hours. Then seperated the flat from the points, wrapped the flats in foil and stuck them in ice till 12:30. Sliced them up, laid the slices in a pan and poured the juice back over them and put 'em back on the smoker till turn in time. I didn't place, but overall I was pleased with how they turned out in the tray. Everyone that ate what wasn't trayed just raved about them.

Found out the thermometer in the pit was about 70 degrees lower than actual pit temp. Came out with a new name for the pit though-MICROWAVE.
Can't believe I cooked two 11.5 pound briskets in 12 hours. I'm learnin' with each comp though.

New R&O smoker - Flaco
Battle tested WSM - R2D2
chromesporty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
PigBoy
Full Fledged Farker

I'll have to dig out the KCBS rules, but I don't think you can ice down meat before turn-in. I think the meat has to be maintained at 140* or above after cooking.

Pork Pullin Plowboys
www.plowboysbbq.com
www.hinckfarms.com

Traeger 200, Kingfisher Commercial, Bandera, Weber Kettle
PigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigBoy View Post
I'll have to dig out the KCBS rules, but I don't think you can ice down meat before turn-in. I think the meat has to be maintained at 140* or above after cooking.
Actually, it's legal if it meets the cooled down, and reheat guidelines. This is what the KCBS rule states;

G. After cooking, all meat:
(a) Must be held at 140 degrees or above, --or—
(b) Cooked potentially hazardous food shall be cooled:
(1) Within 2 hours from 140 degrees F to 70 degrees F and
(2) Within 4 hours from 70 degrees F to 41 degrees F or less
(3) Potentially hazardous food (meat) that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated for hot holding and serving shall be reheated so that all parts of the food reach a temperature of at least 165 degrees F for a minimum of 15 seconds.
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
PigBoy
Full Fledged Farker

Like they say, you learn something new everyday!

Pork Pullin Plowboys
www.plowboysbbq.com
www.hinckfarms.com

Traeger 200, Kingfisher Commercial, Bandera, Weber Kettle
PigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Jeff, We did the same thing at a comp last year. Way over done. I couldn't even get a 2 inch slice to stay together if I tried. Did the same thing. We turned in chopped brisket. It was damned tasty, but we scored the lowest we ever have on brisket.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote