• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Eric's Eastern NC BBQ Sauce

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been playing around with different Carolina Vinegar-Based sauce recipes. After some experimentation, I have come up with my version:

• 1 ½ cups Apple Cider Vinegar
• ½ cup Lucky Leaf apple juice
• 2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
• 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
• 1 tsp Habanero Pepper Flakes
• ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow sauce to cool, then refrigerate overnight.

You can adjust the amounts of cayenne pepper and pepper flakes to your desired heat level.

Sounds good to me. I usually have been cutting my homemade sauce with cider vinegar to make a "vinegar sauce" since mine is already mostly vinegar based and heavily spiced. I have been looking for something a little more basic though, and easier so I don't have to keep making enormous batches of my regular sauce so I might try this. Thanks!

The only thing that I may have trouble getting in the future is the Habanero flakes. A friend of mine bought me a bottle at a specialty food store while on vacation. I am almost out and have a feeling I will have trouble finding it again.

The only thing that I may have trouble getting in the future is the Habanero flakes. A friend of mine bought me a bottle at a specialty food store while on vacation. I am almost out and have a feeling I will have trouble finding it again.

I make my own..... We plant habaneros, Jolikia, and Jalapeno every year then I pick them, dehydrate them, blend them and vac seal them in bags to use for seasoning all year. It doesn't take many dried habanero flakes to really heat a dish up!

This is very, very close to the ENC pulling sauce that I use.

Great recipe you've shared here. Thank you!!!

I put a butt on the kamado at 4:15 this morning and after reading your recipe decided to mix up a batch of sauce...... Tastes great, thanks for the recipe!

Back