MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #46
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

100 per cent get her involved. When she is involved she wiil see and feel the love of BBQ
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #47
Panther5150
On the road to being a farker

I also, get my wife to help. She loves to cook and that helps, but when she tasted the smoked goodness that I made the first time she went nuts.
I also have trouble at times with affording different cuts of meat...but if you can't afford those ribs now, work with chicken or make a brisket, whatever might be on sale.
Brinkman gas smoker
Weber Kettle
Panther5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #48
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I got a job.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #49
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Put some meat in her mouth

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #50
DirtyChurro
Knows what a fatty is.

I go to the store and buy what we refer to as "Sketchy Meat". Its the meat that is about to expire at the store and they discount it. Sometimes deeply. Then I smoke the hell out of it. That way I can practice my craft while keeping costs down at the same time. My wife likes not having to cook, so I lucked out.
DirtyChurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #51
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm lucky I guess. SWMBO likes it when I smoke meat. She likes to eat it, and especially all the goodies we make with the leftovers. That is almost more fun than the first go round, "just" on the bun.

But then again, we're kinda "foodies" and really like to cook. Probably why I weigh 250 lbs!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #52
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

If you are looking for more reasons to cook in a quest to master BBQ, start doing BBQ competitions.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #53
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had no difficulty not mastering BBQ...at all.

As for equipment, I use the alternative close.
"Baby, can I root your sister?"

"NO!!!!!"

"Oh.Okay..... Can I buy a BigSteel Keg BBQ?

"Yes, but don't go near my sister"

"I got it, geez, you don't have to nag..."

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #54
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

This is just my opinion:

I believe 9 out of ten people have found their way to this website through either a friends recommendation or a season of BBQ Pitmasters. The latter is probably more likely. (Myself included).

I didn't set out to master BBQ, but to see if it was something I could add to what I already love to do, which is cook. I've always liked ribs, pulled pork, brisket and chicken, but now, I love them.

Start out with small goals. It's hard to mess up a pork butt, but believe me, I've done it. The first one I smoked and brought into the house my wife literally said "You have to get that thing out of here." It reeked of nasty smoke. I didn't realize you have to wait for the bad smoke to clear before you put the meat on. I was overly confident with my cooking skills in the kitchen and they didn't translate well to BBQ.

Really, really, really do your homework on this website. Everyone here has messed up a rack of ribs, a brisket, chicken or a butt and it is documented here somewhere. Don't be the guy that joins a 10 year old website and asks "How do I smoke ribs?"

I really respect the comp guys and I've learned a lot from them, but comp is not for me. I really prefer cooking what tastes good to me.

I think you have to have a passion for cooking period before you can master BBQ.

Good luck,

Dave

Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #55
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
Drink

I second that emotion.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #56
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

One thing that helped warm my wife up to the idea of me cooking all the time was a rainy weekend we spent watching a marathon series of BBQ Pitmasters episodes. She got really hooked on the drama of watching the contestants face up to the judges and hear the results after watching the different things each cooker did to the same cut of meat. She started trying to figure out how we could make a run up to Austin to try Aaron's Que and see what makes it so much better than ours. We'd have to leave the house about 5:30 to get there in time to get in line, so we haven't made it yet.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #57
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

i just do my thing and as long as she don't have to cook she is happy ..By the way i am also single . But that to will change in october
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #58
zandyw
Got rid of the matchlight.

I started smoking 9 years ago with a cheapo Charbroil Silver Smoker from HD. I had worked at a BBQ restaurant in high school where I sometimes ran the pit, but I was a little lost on how to run a backyard smoker (plus it was a LONG time ago). I was looking for help and I found the BBQ FAQ on the Internet. It became my bible. It is old (last updated in 1998 I think), but it has a lot of good info. I have a printout of the FAQ in a binder with lots of stains.

With the FAQ, I learned how to properly modify the SS to minimize hot spots and improve airflow. I also learned a lot of other techniques and recipes. I have my own recipes now, but the base for them was from the FAQ. Using this info, the BBQ I have made has been praised by my wife and friends. In fact, one friend from Bama claims my ribs are second only to Dreamland in T-Town. That is high praise from a Bama boy!

I have recently found this site and it has been a big help as I am now moving up to a BWS Party (being delivered next week). The FAQ does not have anything about this type of smoker, so I am leaning heavily on threads here to learn how to cook with it.

Oh yeah, my wife was the one who insisted on me replacing the SS with the BWS Party. She loves my brisket (and I am talking about what I cook on the smoker ) . My recipe for the marinade is based on one in the FAQ. So the trick is to make sure your wife loves what you produce and you get free pass.

The link for the FAQ is http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/.
zandyw is offline   Reply With Quote