MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Ordering Butchers Paper

Ok I'm ready to give the foil a break and try the paper. Before I end up with a ton of paper that I can't use I want to make sure this is what people are using and if not where are you guys getting it from?

http://www.pospaper.com/18pbp.html

Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I get mine from Costco. If you have a local butcher, ask him/her to sell you some. You don't need much.

Shipping is the killer when ordering the stuff. So, do everything you can to buy it locally.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

I checked my Costco and they didn't have anything without wax or bleach. This link is for 1000ft to my door for $31. Now I've never bought BP before but I thought that was really good.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Boshizzle

That's about 32 cents per foot. So. it's a bit cheaper than foil. Sounds like a good deal. But, keep looking for a local source that will save you shipping costs.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Appreciate the advice. Can you verify this is the style of BP that I need? Would hate to end up with 1000ft of packing paper.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Boshizzle

Yep, that stuff is fine.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

1000 feet/ $18 at restaurant depot.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
That's about 32 cents per foot. So. it's a bit cheaper than foil. Sounds like a good deal. But, keep looking for a local source that will save you shipping costs.
Uh, price check on isle 9.... 1000' for $31 is just a hair over 3 cents a foot. At 32 cents a foot the roll would be $320.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireburd View Post
Ok I'm ready to give the foil a break and try the paper. Before I end up with a ton of paper that I can't use I want to make sure this is what people are using and if not where are you guys getting it from?

http://www.pospaper.com/18pbp.html
I looked at that link, and when I pressed "add to cart" to see if they had any specials, a line appeared that said "product not orderable", I guess that means it's not in stock.

Because there are many choices,..... un-coated, sizing added, natural, red, white, etc., I'd call whoever and confirm. White will be easier to find locally, but lets face it..... real barbecuists use the red. And it has tons of uses, from laying out on the counter when you are prepping food or cleaning fish...., to using for absorbing grease off things like fried fish or chicken, to baking in, to wrapping meats for resting, to serving on..... and so on.

Here is the difference between coated deli wrap (or steak wrap) and the plain red paper, the coating is on one side only. And usually the plain is heavier.... I think mine is called 40# paper.

The plain red absorbs grease and liquid over time, but once it becomes saturated,.... it will hold liquids.... but you will always get bleed through. So be prepared for that. I like the 24" wide as you have less seams when wrapping things like ribs or brisket.... and 24" is the width of most kitchen counters, and I lay out a sheet to make clean-up easier. I'm not the neatest guy in the kitchen.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I buy mine from Sam's Club. It also works well for painting paper for the boys when they wish to do art.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

the white is useless. good for crayons, crappy for food. get brown.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Thirdeye hadn't tried putting it in the cart yet. I know it has to be local somewhere but can't find it as of yet. Does anyone have somewhere online that has the brown paper in stock because I can only find the brown treated or waxed paper.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
the white is useless. good for crayons, crappy for food. get brown.

I use white paper all the time with out a problem.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Here's a few different ones I have come across. I'm not sure about the difference between Peach treated or dyed red though. If someon could explain that I am curious.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x.../43324PEA.html

http://www.pospaper.com/butcherpaper.html

Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireburd View Post
Thanks Thirdeye hadn't tried putting it in the cart yet. I know it has to be local somewhere but can't find it as of yet. Does anyone have somewhere online that has the brown paper in stock because I can only find the brown treated or waxed paper.

Here's where I get mine from:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/435/...per-twine.html

I recommend the 24" just because it's easier to wrap briskets, but 18" will work, just not as easily IMO.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr74 View Post
Here's a few different ones I have come across. I'm not sure about the difference between Peach treated or dyed red though. If someon could explain that I am curious.
That's my issue too. I get nervous when I see the word treated but maybe I'm over thinking it.