TK's Tamales - 12/17/05

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
During the tenure of this group and more commonly during the holidays, a tamale thread or two appears. I have made tamales for 12 years. That doesn't make me an expert because 12 years probably only equates to 18 batches. I have received however very good compliments for my work. At the request of Arlin, Aeynghus, and other brothers, I compiled my recipe for this years tamale cook at:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=1135640599&category=Mexican

I also took a fairly comprehensive photo sequence with captions for each at:

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/mod...lery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1 - Mod Note: This link is to the old photo gallery which is off line due to hackers.

You need to be logged into the main homepage to view these links. Whether it be for your viewing or educational pleasure... enjoy

Attachments

• 118_1829_IMG.jpg
    118_1829_IMG.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by a moderator:
Dang TK! Looks like you put a lot of work and love into those Tamales. When should I come to pick mine up?

ADMIN NOTE: Sorry for the hassles h=getting to the photo gallery. I have not had a chance to work with john to get the integration working. So, in general here is the process to get to our photo gallery. I will put this in our Welcome section too.

1 - Go to our homepage, get there either thru the 'Quicklinks Menu' at the top, or BBQ-Brethren Homepage" option on the bottom Navbar.

2 - On the home page, right site, in the "whos online" box there is a small 'member' hotlink. Click that hotlink and it will bring you to a login box. Login at that box.

You need to leave the Website open and come back to the forum in a new window. So, just minimize the forum and return here however you want, or right click "smoke signals" and chose " open in new window.

Then the links will work. I know this is a P.I.T.A, but i'll get it fixed soon as we can.

Now.. To the tamales.. in-bare-assed to say. I have never had one. But looking at this stuf makes me want to run out to the local texmex place to grab one and try it. .. and if not, i gotta make me a pork butt this week.

I think I'll be making some for next Christmas. I know they are better fresh, but how well do they freeze TK?

Thanks for the photos Tommy. I too do this several times a year. I'm thinking about doing some Mole Negro this week. It goes great with turkey tamales.........

BBQchef33 said:
Now.. To the tamales.. in-bare-assed to say. I have never had one. But looking at this stuf makes me want to run out to the local texmex place to grab one and try it. .. and if not, i gotta make me a pork butt this week.

Not really sold on them myself.

I love mexican food, but I find that corn paste crap on the outside to be utterly flavorless.

Corn mash, maize, whatever it is, has a spot in the yard.

they look great. my wife love tamales. that recipe is one I will have to try. Thanks:biggrin:

willkat98 said:

I love mexican food, but I find that corn paste crap on the outside to be utterly flavorless.

Corn mash, maize, whatever it is, has a spot in the yard.

Alot of folks feel this way. My wife and kids don't really like them. Try serving them with mole which is also an aquired taste! I find that Mexican cuisine is really the richest and most earthy of all the major cuisines. I cannot get enough of it! My two favorite restaraunts (both in Chicago) are Rick Bayless' place "Frontera Grill /Topolobompo" and a restaraunt started by a former Bayless deciple "Salpicon" on North Wells. Anyone in Chicago, or planning on travelling there should definitely make the effort to try either of these. You will drop a lot of coin at either though! Wood

I agree with Woodman- Rick Bayless is tops.

I got one of his books for Christmas. good recipes!

willkat98 said:

And that my brother is why I mix the manteca with bacon grease. Pork fat babeee.

The Woodman said:
Alot of folks feel this way. My wife and kids don't really like them. Try serving them with mole which is also an aquired taste! I find that Mexican cuisine is really the richest and most earthy of all the major cuisines. I cannot get enough of it! My two favorite restaraunts (both in Chicago) are Rick Bayless' place "Frontera Grill /Topolobompo" and a restaraunt started by a former Bayless deciple "Salpicon" on North Wells. Anyone in Chicago, or planning on travelling there should definitely make the effort to try either of these. You will drop a lot of coin at either though! Wood

Bayless' place is great (are great?). Never tried Salpicon. I'll put that on my list. The best tamales are in the ethnic neighborhoods and certain suburbs. There used to be a place in Elgin (west 'burbs) called La Taqueria Tremenda that had incredible tamales. I would stop by on my way home from work and buy a dozen for $6, including a quart of their homemade salsa! I think the restaurant is still there, but the family that owned it sold it and returned to Mexico several years ago.

And to further the to Bayless attributes, the bartender at Frontera is top notch, and you HAVE to try a margarita while there.

I love that place.

Never been to the Topopoblano (sp) side of the restaurant for the high end stuff

And TK, I would definitely try your recipe next time I'm in town. All I need is an invite :-D

Its the "Tom Tom" ones that I'm talking about. They Su--uck.

But this little ol lady who sells tamales at the train station at 6am when my assistant lived in the east side of Chicago, those where awesome. Super thin matzo thingy, but I mixed everything up in a bowl and it was better than eating "whole"

Back