Hey, Competition Cooks, You Guys Rock!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've been preparing for my first competition for a long time. But, the preparation was only for the cooking part. And, no, I'm not where I need to be. But, that's not what I'm writing about. I'm writing about the incredible amount of hard freakin' work involved in doing a competition. I have been at it since 6am this morning literally non-stop practicing, packing, double checking, and setting up my cook area. I'm exhausted and I still have work to do tonight before going on site tomorrow for the meat inspection and cook's meeting. And, don't get me started on the expense. Thank God I have two sponsors, but I still had to dish out my fair share. I have been a CBJ for several years and need to cook a comp. for my MCBJ. So, this one will do for my MCBJ credential, I hope.

To you guys who have been doing this week in and week out, my hat is off to you! :clap2:

It gets easier as you do more. You fall into a system for packing, repacking and restocking and a rhythm for meat trimming, sauces, et.

The key is pacing. You learn you can only push through without sleep so long before you crash hard. Can't remember if I discovered that at competitions, college or programming against deadlines, but it's a universal truth that the human battery can only provide a finite amount of energy before a recharge is needed.

Take a break - you'll enjoy yourself more and live longer.

adee91d4-46e0-76f2.jpg
The key is pacing. You learn you can only push through without sleep so long before you crash hard. Can't remember if I discovered that at competitions, college or programming against deadlines, but it's a universal truth that the human battery can only provide a finite amount of energy before a recharge is needed.

Take a break - you'll enjoy yourself more and live longer.

Exactly, that is why I just picked up this trailer. Offers a place to carry the smokers and a dry, warm place too crash for a couple of hours when needed.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336100529159.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336100529159.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 214
adee91d4-46e0-76f2.jpg

Exactly, that is why I just picked up this trailer. Offers a place to carry the smokers and a dry, warm place too crash for a couple of hours when needed.

Hey, I like that little teardrop! Never saw one with an equipment platform before. I applaud you sir. It's great to see folks think outside of the box. Just goes to show you don't need a bus to compete.

Good luck to you! Just remember it's only BBQ. Concentrate on the meat and have fun! I wish more CBJs cooked for themselves to get MCBJ.

Hey, I like that little teardrop! Never saw one with an equipment platform before. I applaud you sir. It's great to see folks think outside of the box. Just goes to show you don't need a bus to compete.

Man, that's just too cool! :thumb:

My guess is you will morph from judge to competitor. Oh, and looking at ur list of cookers, that's a hell of a collection.

Last edited:
Good Luck Joe, wish I could have made it down to be with ya'll this weekend but it's work for me instead.

Joe, I'm planning on coming as a vistor, and I'll stop by when I know you aren't busy. If you need a runner or help, I'll be available. Good luck!

Good luck brother! Looking forward to some pics of your camp...the teardrop is killer cool! 8)

Back