APL's Wings w/Bart's Blazin' Q Sauce

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
There's been some great looking chicken posts lately and I felt inspired by them to try out Adam Perry Lang's chicken wing recipe from his BBQ 25 book.

Other's have posted the full recipe before (search on APL's Chicken Wings) so I'll be brief here and just say that it calls for modifying a sauce of your choice with some light brown sugar and some optional scallions.

My choice for this cook was fellow Brethren BBQ PD's product "Bart's Blazin' Q sauce":
IMG_0228.jpg

I decided to cook on the 26" Weber Bar-B-Q Kettle "project" I picked up a couple of months ago:
IMG_0233.jpg

After an hour I pulled the wings to sauce:
IMG_0236.jpg

Tried my best APL impersonation and tossed the wings in the sauce:
IMG_0237.jpg

Unfortunately, my best impersonation sucks and I need to work on my toss as
this farking mess on my patio wasn't part of the recipe (but my dog is loving the smell):
IMG_0239.jpg

Fortunately, no wings were harmed in the accident and after cooking the wings for another 30 minutes at a little higher heat they came out pretty darn tasty! Sticky, sweet, with a touch of heat.
IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I was fortunate enough to be around and taste the wings and see the mess on his back patio. The wings were great but the mess.....well, it wasn't. I can only surmise that APL had a larger bowl!

Nice wings amd tje color of them looked great, what was your temp. ?

Nice work John. I see a Smittys Smoke Patrol apron peeking from behind those wings!:becky:

You have a good eye Ryan! Smitty has been kind enough to let me help out at a couple of comps over the last 2 years and he let me keep that apron (I probably spilled sauce on it :heh:).

Nice wings amd tje color of them looked great, what was your temp. ?

Thanks! Assuming you mean cook temps, 300 for about 60 mins, then shot for 400 for 30 mins but I'm pretty sure I didn't quite reach 400. If you meant IT, I'm sure they were a little over cooked as I probably could have scaled times back a bit to account for smaller wings and no drummettes.

I was fortunate enough to be around and taste the wings and see the mess on his back patio. The wings were great but the mess.....well, it wasn't. I can only surmise that APL had a larger bowl!

I'll blame an improper sauce to chicken ratio as I only had the mid-part of the wings! :roll: Bart's Blazin' Q sauce, great on chicken, not great on concrete.

Back