MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First Smoke on First UDS - 8# Pork Butt pr0n

Just finished my first UDS yesterday and seasoned it all up and couldn't wait to use it so i smoked a 8# pork butt today. I got it on around 5am and it took 11 1/2ish hours to reach 200 degrees in all parts. during my final probe of the meat it was like butter. I used the rub and sauce recipe from the thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=64815. Thanks LT for the great recipes. The cause was unbelievable and was a fan favorite. I could drink that stuff plain! everyone should give it a try. I hit many speed bumps during the smoke such as too much ash build up (might raise the charcoal basket higher) and too much smoke was getting out of the sides of the lid. The rim of my drum has dings and nebds in it so i tried to fix that by installing a piece of 1" flat stock but it did not make it completely airtight so a good amount of smoke leaks from the sides. I foiled the edges of the rim which helped but did not solve the problem. Any suggestions as how to fix this would be appreciated. I have ran out of ideas and might just live with it. I can post pictures of the rim if need be.

Anyway the butt came out great with a amazing bark which was delicious because of LT's delcious rub recipe. it was super tender and had a great smoky flavor and very moist. Thank you fellow brethren. I could not have done this without your tutelage and support. Enough talk, here is the pr0n of the day.

rested and ready to pull

ready to come off after 11 1/2ish hours

around 9 or 10 hours in. can't remember exact time

why i love the uds already...user friendly

lunch. corned beef and ham english muffin double decker grilled to perfection on a flat top

around 4-5 hours in

rubbed with some love

I am totally thrilled with my first attempt at my first true smoke. I cannot stress enough how indebted i am to the brethren community. I know i missed it by a day but i am planning on MOINK balls tomorrow! btw, that smoke can really get to your eyes. i learned that the hard way. next time i will not look directly into the drum when i lift the lid
dealm9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice job!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

sorry, not sure why it posted a couple pictures twice? think of it as a second butt i wish i had

Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Did they both taste the same?

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

identical. crazy huh?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealm9 View Post
sorry, not sure why it posted a couple pictures twice? think of it as a second butt i wish i had
LOL!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
doc.mosi
Found some matches.

Nice! :)

Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
smokinQ2
On the road to being a farker