Check out these legs

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thinking about moving from thighs to these this year. I did thighs and legs in the is test and legs won out. what ya think? anybody else do legs at contests?

legs.JPG
WceLAAwrCAoP69xLgcYGcQ
WceLAAwrCAoP69xLgcYGcQ

Last edited:
Those look pretty good, Ray! I've been tempted a few times but haven't tried it yet.

I know that it's tough via a picture, but they look a little little in color. Maybe a little longer cook time or a little high temp to get the skin a little darker?

Those look pretty good, Ray! I've been tempted a few times but haven't tried it yet.

I know that it's tough via a picture, but they look a little little in color. Maybe a little longer cook time or a little high temp to get the skin a little darker?

exactly what I was thinking...a little more color...other than that they look good
I cook them all of the time at home, but have not been gutsy enough to turn them in at a comp

Little more color, but other than that they look good.

Some one turned in legs at Jefferson City Mo. last weekend. They came across my table. Can't tell you how they were, I was table captain and didn't get one but they looked good.

The important part about legs is getting them done all the way. They seem to be a little stringy if they are on the short side of done. Next cook try a couple that look and temp pretty overdone and compare to some you took off earlier.
Ed

I would pull the skin off, scrape the fat off it`and wrap it evenly around the leg. :doh:

Those look good to me, how many packs to find 6 that match though?

I think there are still too many prejudiced judges for them to score well consistently. But if you are going to try them I would suggest buying leg quarters and cutting extra skin from the thigh and pulling it back before you cut the meat at the joint. That way you have extra skin to pull over the top of the leg and cover it completely.

But don't tell anyone. It's a secret.

They look good. I agree with more color. Also, just a question. What temp did you take them to? I'm used to them pulling away from the bone more.

I think there are still too many prejudiced judges for them to score well consistently. But if you are going to try them I would suggest buying leg quarters and cutting extra skin from the thigh and pulling it back before you cut the meat at the joint. That way you have extra skin to pull over the top of the leg and cover it completely.

But don't tell anyone. It's a secret.

Great idea Neil! Thanks, I won't tell a soul. :wink:

They look good. I agree with more color. Also, just a question. What temp did you take them to? I'm used to them pulling away from the bone more.

180 I believe was the last mark I saw them at. I wasn't really paying a lot of attention to them:icon_blush:, they just happen to taste better than the thighs.

I have turned in legs the last 2 contests. We got 1st place in one and 26th in the other. Exactly the same chicken and I thought it was pretty good . I figure atleast they stand out as something different. I spent a lot of time trying to perfect them for comps.... so I am going to keep turning them in for a while and see how they do.

Back