MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #7426
grayghost60
Found some matches.

Default leaking lid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
Thanks , the simpler the better for me.
it seems to me that a door would lose temp , my lid looses enough , i dont know the answer
grayghost60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #7427
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
I actually built mine inside a larger, 85 gal drum that I use as a "shell":

... (skipping pictures in quote.. click on the little arrow to jump to original post)

There's another Brother here - Smokin' Joe - who did the same thing (I shigged his idea ) The biggest difference is his is insulated with rock wool and mine just uses the air gap as an insulator.

I can lay my hand on the outside of the drum anytime during a cook and just hold it there. It gets warm, but not hot enough to burn and the shell does a good job of keeping it from losing heat to the wind or rain.

The lid is still an issue. I haven't come up with a way to insulate the lid yet that I'm willing to try.

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters too much though.
Hey man.. I just have to say that your smoker is fantastic! Not necessary, but at this point looks like you're having fun and being creative. I do wonder why the 3 air intakes to come from the bottom of the barrel and all coming out the same side.
As for the need, like the dude from MN wrote, I too smoke in very cold temps (from CT) with or without wind and I still am able to get a good 10+ hours on 1/2 a bag of charcoal without any additional insulation. The insulation idea I was trying to figure out with my POS offset smoker because THERE it matters. So I have a welder's blanket for that.. but once I built UDS I am not really looking back.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #7428
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog043 View Post
I would say, your air flow is not working the way it should. If you use the KISS method your drum temp would be easier to dial in to what you want it!! Easy way to try it, close your side exhaust vents and open the 2" bung hole for exhaust. Leave it wide open and control your temp with the intake. If you want more smoke flavor add more wood chunks. I don't know what the other sites say to do, this is the best on the net for help with anything Q, hands down, in my opinion. Give the KISS method a try and see if it works for you. People on here have more problems trying to improve what works. Not saying you can't come up with some other design that will work for you.
hey man.. you were exactly right. I was not understanding the mechanics of draft. I ran a burn with the 2" bung open and closed down some of the intakes and the temp held within 10 degrees for hours.

And jcinadr posted about using BBQ Guru computer system to control temp. :) Here's what I'm going to try to do:

A friend of mine made mods to his offset smoker but putting in a flap inside his chimney attached to some wires that poke through the chimney walls, allowing it to kind of sway. He positioned it just right so that it seems to work like a carburetor and self adjusts by opening more or less based on the temp. I have to learn more about it, but it's tied with my desire to attach some pipe to the bung hole to create the negative pressure at the top for creating more draft.

But another idea I may do, is to use one of the 3 nipples that I put on the side of the barrel at the top... I can put an elbow on the inside and another pipe extension (this is 3/4 inch) downward inside, and then also elbow on the outside and some pipe extension going up.. Resulting in something like an elongated "S" with half of it on the inside pointing down, and half on the outside pointing up. My theory :) (and I'm having fun with mods) is that this will still create some negative pressure at the top to create the draft, and also not rob so much smoke and moisture from the top where the food is being cooked.

BUT WAIT THAT'S NOT ALL! Another idea, after reading a lot about draft and combustion :) (http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokeho...ehouse-firebox) I'm also thinking of adding a 3/4 inch nipple somewhere in the middle, above the heat source and under the food. Point of that is to try to bring in more moisture by drafting in cool air from the outside. This in turn may also increase the heat created from the coals by allowing for a secondary combustion.

Who knows.. but it's easy and cheap to try, and if it doesn't work I just cap the holes!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #7429
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hunchback View Post
Question for you guys that have experience with both a UDS and WSM (18.5). Which one would you get if you had the choice. I can possibly get a WSM for around $150 but am trying to decide which way to go. Thanks.
I own and compete with one 18.5 WSM and two drums. I only use the WSM for chicken and am thinking about retiring it completely this Spring. The pros to me are: drums to me burn more efficiently, ability to cook a lot more meat than the 18.5 WSM, able to burn for longer periods of time with the larger charcoal basket. The cons: drums are a little more difficult to travel with if you don't have a pickup or trailer.

I don't think you can go wrong with either so don't spend too much time making the decision.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #7430
BuckHunter83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Here she is, I am just about finished up. I am seasoning it right now and it is holding steady at 350 degrees. Still have to paint it. All I need now is a nice butt to throw on there.... or maybe some ribs..... or maybe brisket.... Decisions decisions...

Last edited by BuckHunter83; 01-22-2011 at 02:13 PM..
BuckHunter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #7431
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Don't forget about the fatty.
Novass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #7432
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I've read many comments referring to the inability to "shake the coals".

Why don't Y'all just kick the bottom of the drum to knock the ashes down?

No need to open up the drum, just give 'er a couple swift kicks at the base. Ash will drop, and she'll start purring again.
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #7433
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog043 View Post
Don't forget to take notes as you read, it's easier when you want to reference something for the build.
Nice score on the Weber stuff!!!!
Now you tell me LOL

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #7434
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
I've read many comments referring to the inability to "shake the coals".

Why don't Y'all just kick the bottom of the drum to knock the ashes down?

No need to open up the drum, just give 'er a couple swift kicks at the base. Ash will drop, and she'll start purring again.
Actually I don't know what the problem is with ash. I never kick mine or have a need to shake or anything. My fire basket I made is just simply wrapped around a coal grate for the 22 inch Weber; the coal grate measures out to be under 18 inches. And I made feet using long bolts.. which make it stand like around 2.5 inches. The whole thing sits on top of another smaller barrel lid catching the ash that falls, making it a snap to clean by just lifting the whole thing out.

This is nothing different from what everyone else seems to do, and I never have a desire to shake anything. :) Maybe it's a personal problem? haha But the thing will run just fine for 10, 12 hours whatever.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #7435
Colemanchu
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't read the whole thing. I did spend the better part of 10 hours yesterday into this morning reading a lot of good stuff. Well I was able to drag myself out of bed this morning and found what seems to be a great deal on drums on the otherside of town in Tempe. Closed head, used to have soybean oil in them, for $20. I thought I read that the one's with mineral oil etc. don't have too thick of a coating and maybe just a rust inhibitor. So I'm going to cross my fingers, hope my Dremel 400 can cut through this thing and let the journey begin.

Also the guy had 8 barrels left at 2 pm local time if you need his name and # shoot me a p.m. Seemed like a good guy and was a real easy transaction.
Colemanchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #7436
otterpop
Full Fledged Farker

Found a $10 drum on Craigslist today, formerly filled with Hawaiian Punch in a plastic sock liner. Just picked it up and cannot believe how well the old Weber dome lid fits like a glove. Stopped at the local hardware store to estimate total price for parts and was shocked at the cost of expanded metal for the coal basket - around $60! Is that about right or should I shop/scavenge around?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum CList 0111.jpg (97.8 KB, 753 views)
otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #7437
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
Found a $10 drum on Craigslist today, formerly filled with Hawaiian Punch in a plastic sock liner. Just picked it up and cannot believe how well the old Weber dome lid fits like a glove. Stopped at the local hardware store to estimate total price for parts and was shocked at the cost of expanded metal for the coal basket - around $60! Is that about right or should I shop/scavenge around?
Think outside the box and come up with something else. Me...I used an old milk crate, weed burned the bejesus out of it and went to town. It holds enough coal to go at least 16 hours.

Late on when you stumble upon some expanded go for it and have a basket like everyone else.

Just sayin.............

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #7438
Colemanchu
Knows what a fatty is.

Well Dremel isn't exactly like a hot knife through butter on this thing but it is making progress. I'm going to google search this as well but do you think I could use my sabre saw and just get a metal cutting blade? It's either that or about 50 of these metal cutting dremel disc's.
Colemanchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #7439
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Sabre saw blade will work fine and do a quicker job to boot!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #7440
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanchu View Post
Well Dremel isn't exactly like a hot knife through butter on this thing but it is making progress. I'm going to google search this as well but do you think I could use my sabre saw and just get a metal cutting blade? It's either that or about 50 of these metal cutting dremel disc's.
Oh heck yeah. I used a jig saw on all my UDSs. Either that or my recip saw w/a bi-metal blade.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker