MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
hath
On the road to being a farker

Default Choice on Knives.

Please forgive me if this is one of those topics that has been covered over and over but im in the market for a really nice couple of knives. Ive been looking at the Gunther. But was also interested in the Cutco brand. I dont know the difference in forged or stamped knives. I have no idea of the pros or cons in this area. what I do know is that I love a razor sharp knive and believe in buying 1 good one rather than multiple cheap ones. Can someone please advise my and point me in a general direction as to what to look for? thanks.
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

A Forschner 14" graton slicer is the bee's knee's for slicing brisket.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I just bought a set of Gunther Wilheims and love em! They replaced my Henckles and Forschners(sp?)

IMO, better than both in the way the feel in the hand, especially for the price. Im sure there are better knoves out there, but for the cost of the set, I have no complaints. The suckers cut like a razor. (yeah, they're new.. lets see in 6 months).

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77781

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Don't want to jack this thread - but if you want sharp then perhaps you should consider a good sharpener. The best knife improperly sharpened is useless. I'd get the Edgepro Apex. After that, any quality knife will cut perfectly. My Wusthofs needed to be sharpened out of the box. Just another $.02

Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
hath
On the road to being a farker

so what is the advantage or disadvantage of a stamped knife vs a forged knife?
are cutco knives good vs say a Gunter?
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I prefer forged knives for the quality of the steel. The arguments are extensive and long, but, essentially forging increases the ability of steel to take and hold an edge for a longer period of time. It has to do with grain orientation etc...

I would look for a forged knife with a solid handle, Consider Global as a good mid-price knife also.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hath View Post
so what is the advantage or disadvantage of a stamped knife vs a forged knife?
are cutco knives good vs say a Gunter?
From a knife blog:

What is the different between forged knife and stamped knife?
The different is the making process.
Forged Knife:
”Forged knives are hand made through a process of extreme heat and hand moulding. Each forged knife is carefully and hand crafted with extreme detail. The tang of the knife merges into the handle and is typically secured by three rivets.”
Stamped Knife:
”Stamped knives are made from templated cutters that cut the shape of the knives into flat metal. Stamped knives are lighter but don’t have the same quality and balance as the forged knives do. Due to the lack of density, the stamped knives don’t hold edges as well as the forged knives. Stamped knives are usually less expensive. “
The Benefit Of Forged Knife And Stamped Knife

Due to forged knives undergo a treatment process to enhance the flexibility, density, and hardness of the knife. Forged knives tend to be heavier than stamped knives. Besides that, forged knives generally offer greater strength and durability as well as better balance, a heavier feel and lasting sharpness. Most of the top notch best kitchen knives are forged knives that come with the more expesive price tag.
Stamped knives are generally less expensive, but tend to lack the strength and balance of a forged knife. Take this as a general rule, though. There are some reasonably priced, yet high-quality stamped knives on the market today that have excellent cutting ability and a light-weight maneuverability favored by many chefs.
Our Recommendation for forged knife:

Shun Classic – The Best Kitchen Knife

Our Recommendation for stamped knife

Forschner Victorinox Knives – The Best Budget Kitchen Knife

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

anyone own or use Messermeister knives? I've heard good things about them but not mentioned much on this site. http://www.messermeister.com/index.p...cat=7&prodID=0

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

My wife got me these:

They're actually pretty decent for cheap knives. She also understands my morbid sense of humor too, obviously.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Traveler32
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

For me, and I fully understand that a good knife ia a personal thing, the Chicago Cutlery line of knives offers forged, full tang knives at a very attractive price point.

Standard disclaimer: No warranty or guarantee is offered or implied. Mileage may vary.
Traveler32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
I'd get the Edgepro Apex.
If you own an Edgepro Apex, I'm going to start sending you my knives.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Mundial knives are sweet... I prefer them over my henckels and I like that they are forged and not stamped like Mac.....

Mundial are made in Brazil but originally are form Germany... They make great knives and they're very affordable.... Just got a block with 8 knives for Xmas. Prior to that I bought the Santoku with granton edge - which is what made me like the knives so much. Unfortunately I couldn't get them in Canada so I ordered from the US.... Check them out....

This is the set I have - 5100 series - http://www.mundialusa.com/5100.html Bought off CSN stores online....

Old 02-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_BBQ View Post
If you own an Edgepro Apex, I'm going to start sending you my knives.
Actually, I use spyderco stones. Takes a little more time - but it's also more fun

Old 02-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

A knife should last you your life time, your child's life time and your grand child's life time, basically we're saying "forever".

Cost when worked out after you pay for it and your great grand children use it is going to be next to nothing. I'm using semi custom knives made in the late 1940's for my grand father, a couple carbon blades from the 1930's. Early 440C stainless and of course D-2 and M-2

My suggestion find a knife maker you like and have them build you a few. Now just think if you'd bought from Bob Kramer when he first started making kitchen knives and selling them for a few hundred bucks. His custom knives now sell for $$$$$K and up, IF you can find one or you don't mind waiting 2 years plus.

Best production knives I've sharpened of late are Misono UX10, they are rising in price for production knives. tough and they get laser sharp, if you know how to sharpen them or have access to a sharpener who does good work.

If Chicago Cutlery were hardened better they'd be good. The same can be said of Henckel's, Forschner, Wusthof, and the like.

A good bargain in an inexpensive lineup is the Victorinox Fibrox knife lineup. They are food safe and are harder and better cutters than most, Henckel's etc.
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
cruzmisl
Got Wood.

I have only three knives that I use and they are all Hattori's. I prefer Japanese style knives to the Henckel Professional S that I used to own. While not as durable they are amazingly sharp. I touch them up with Edgepro every few months and they remain razor sharp. Here's a pic of what they look like. I love the look of the damascus too

cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote