• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Otg weber handle is too hot

pal251

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm used to my propane grills handle not being too hot. My weber grills handle is way hot. To the point I dont want to use it almost... any ideas on how to help besides wearing gloves

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

"weber" covers a lot. which one in particular ? are you talking plastic or wood ?
i prefer wood but on a really hot fire even they are to hot to handle.

That's kinda weird. I don't think I've ever had that problem. I know that Weber is shipping their large (26") OTG in the U.S. and both size OT Premium in Europe with a heat shield below the handle.

my apologies. i didn't see the otg part. yes, plastic will get hot.
marty has a great answer for that. otherwise you need gloves, etc.

FYI, I recently picked up a pair of leather grill gloves at Lowe's for about $11. I believe they were part of the Master Forge branding. I was skeptical of the quality given the price but they're working out great so far. They're thick enough I can use them to carry a fully heated cast iron skillet into the house without any other layers.

On my 18" I use for steaks, I had the same problem. So I took an old wash rag and wrapped it around the handle. Two garbage bag ties did the trick to hold it on. Haven't had the issue since.

I leave a normal hot pad hanging on my weber tool rack at all times. Easy to grab without having to put on the gloves and solves the heat problem.

I think it's just one of those things you have to deal with sing high heat on that unit. As Marty said all webers here have ( minus the WSM) a heat shield now, it's not made of much being just a bit to metal to help deflect the heat and bolted under the handle.

I think it's just one of those things you have to deal with sing high heat on that unit. As Marty said all webers here have ( minus the WSM) a heat shield now, it's not made of much being just a bit to metal to help deflect the heat and bolted under the handle.

Don't think all webers have a heat shield. Maybe the 26 inch unit does. I have not seen any of the smaller ones with a shield.

Considering the times I need to remove the hot grate and cast iron pans and foil pans full of meat, a glove or mitt is always with my performer right under the stainless table lid. Good use for the "worn out" hot pads my wife throws away.

Just make somebody else lift the lid. :twisted:

I leave a normal hot pad hanging on my weber tool rack at all times. Easy to grab without having to put on the gloves and solves the heat problem.

Exactly, just like you would anywhere you're cooking.

I have practiced Kung Fu all my life, and part of my training was picking up hot cauldrons with my bare hands and arms. The hot handles on the webers have no effect on me.

But in all honesty I just have either my big set of tongs or a hot pad that I have chillin by the kettle.

Back