Contest Results Garry Maddox BBQ Challenge

Kirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This was a 3 category charity event held at Citizen's Bank Park yesterday with the grand prize in ribs being a trip to a World Series game. I didn't know anyone there at the beginning of the day but we had lots of friends by the end. We entered ribs and chicken but skipped chef's choice. We wanted to have plenty of time to relax and enjoy this one so we just kept it simple.

Scoresheets are being mailed or emailed out this week so I don't know how we did in chicken (didn't get called) but we did get 3rd in ribs. I'll post up the results when I get them in case y'all might know someone who was there.

It was nice to have so much time to walk around and bs with the other teams, have a few beers and just enjoy the day. The team next to us were a good bunch of guys doing their first comp and on the other side was a group that'd been there the last few years. They were a riot. All in all it was a great time. Very little pressure, lots of spare time. Chances are we'll do it again next year.

Good job on the ribs Kirk! Please post the results when you get them. Missed being there this year and seeing alot of old friends but had a good time at the Victory/MABA comp in Gap.

Thanks Jon, will do. How did you make out in Gap?

We had a great time up there for our first year! I checked with the organizers and they said they're aware the CLICK HERE results on the official Garry Maddox Challenge web page are from 2009 (even though they say 2010). They said the web would be updated in a week or so because the person who does the web updates is on Vacation. I'd sure like to get the results sooner though. Nice event on a nice day though.

I am going to email Kerry and make two suggestions for next year. One is that they make the results immediately available (even if they don't have a printer or copier, they could post them on a board) and the other is that they announce what the entries were in Chef's Choice.

Here are the results. Our ribs were not where they should have been, but my first ever walk in chicken is a big step. I also am very interested in what others made for chef's choice. I thought I made an outstanding pork belly, but with a lot of these things, you might think it is great, but you aren't the judge. They used to do two rounds of judging, so you knew that if you made it into the second round you made the top ten. I liked that way better for my personal knowledge of how I did, but not having to turn in up to 24 ribs is better on the budget. Also, space seemed tighter this year than ever. And the windows for turn in times would work better spaced out a little more. I understand they are asking celebrity judges to give their time, but 20 minutes to go from chicken to chef's choice was tough. Best weather we have ever had though.

Chicken Competition
Pit Master Division

1st place: We Rib U Long Time (Perkasie, PA)
2nd place: Tiny's BBQ (West Chester, PA)
3rd place: Rhapsody in Blue Smoke (Philadelphia, PA)
Honorable mentions: Brisket Burners (Williamstown, NJ)
Devil’s Delight (Atglen, PA)
Restaurant/Caterer Division
1st place: Big D’s Pizza & BBQ (Wilmington, DE)
2nd place: Jones (Philadelphia, PA)
3rd place: Continental Mid-town (Philadelphia, PA)
Honorable mentions: Communities in Schools of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA)
New Orleans Cafe (Chichester, PA)
Chef's Choice Competition
Pit Master Division
1st place: Heavy Hitters BBQ (Drexel Hill, PA)
2nd place: The Honey Bears (Philadelphia, PA)
3rd place: The Stu-Pit (Oaklyn, NJ)
Honorable mentions: Island Smokehouse BBQ (Westhampton, NJ),
Team SBA (Philadelphia, PA),

1st place: Bomb Bomb BBQ Grill (Philadelphia, PA)
2nd place: Carolina Blue (Pitman, NJ)
3rd place: Capt'n Dick's BBQ (Malvern, PA)
Honorable mentions: Rosey’s BBQ (Jenkintown, PA)
Communities in Schools of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA)
Rib Competition
Pit Master Division
1st place: Backyard BBQ (Lansdowne, PA)
2nd place: Secret Sauce (Havertown, PA)
3rd place: Backyard All-Stars BBQ Team (Langhorne, PA)
Honorable mentions: Smokin’ Ain’t Easy (Drexel Hill, PA)
Tiny’s BBQ (West Chester, PA)
Restaurant Division
2nd place: Le Cochon Noir (Philadelphia, PA)
3rd place: Bomb Bomb BBQ Grill (Philadelphia, PA)
Honorable mentions: Carolina Blue (Pitman, NJ)
Rosey’s BBQ (Jenkintown, PA)
Garry's Rib-Off (both divisions compete together for a trip to the 2010 World Series)
Winner: Smokin’ Ain’t Easy (Drexel Hill, PA)
Runners up: Nice Racks (Philadelphia, PA)
Lazy River Barbecue (Franklinville, NJ)

Hey! This is Jamal from Le Cochon Noir! This was our 1st competition and we had an awesome time. Learned alot from the booth next to us (Big D's) and look forward to future competitions. Really excited to have taken 2nd place in Ribs (Restaurant Divsion) with all the talented competitors. New to the forum. Anyone have any suggestions on other competitions in the Philly/NJ area that would be good for us to enter?

Chefs choice

The winner of the chefs choice Heavy Hitters, turned in a Striped Bass dish. We came in 2nd place with our Lechon Asado Cuban roast pork. Don't know what the 3rd place entry was. We just happened to be camped next to the Heavy Hitters
Here are the results. Our ribs were not where they should have been, but my first ever walk in chicken is a big step. I also am very interested in what others made for chef's choice. I thought I made an outstanding pork belly, but with a lot of these things, you might think it is great, but you aren't the judge. They used to do two rounds of judging, so you knew that if you made it into the second round you made the top ten. I liked that way better for my personal knowledge of how I did, but not having to turn in up to 24 ribs is better on the budget. Also, space seemed tighter this year than ever. And the windows for turn in times would work better spaced out a little more. I understand they are asking celebrity judges to give their time, but 20 minutes to go from chicken to chef's choice was tough. Best weather we have ever had though.

Chicken Competition
Pit Master Division
1st place: We Rib U Long Time (Perkasie, PA)
2nd place: Tiny's BBQ (West Chester, PA)
3rd place: Rhapsody in Blue Smoke (Philadelphia, PA)
Honorable mentions: Brisket Burners (Williamstown, NJ)
Devil’s Delight (Atglen, PA)
2nd place: Jones (Philadelphia, PA)
3rd place: Continental Mid-town (Philadelphia, PA)
Honorable mentions: Communities in Schools of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA)
New Orleans Cafe (Chichester, PA)
Chef's Choice Competition
Pit Master Division
1st place: Heavy Hitters BBQ (Drexel Hill, PA)
2nd place: The Honey Bears (Philadelphia, PA)
3rd place: The Stu-Pit (Oaklyn, NJ)
Honorable mentions: Island Smokehouse BBQ (Westhampton, NJ),
Team SBA (Philadelphia, PA),

1st place: Bomb Bomb BBQ Grill (Philadelphia, PA)
2nd place: Carolina Blue (Pitman, NJ)
3rd place: Capt'n Dick's BBQ (Malvern, PA)
Honorable mentions: Rosey’s BBQ (Jenkintown, PA)
Communities in Schools of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA)
Rib Competition
Pit Master Division
1st place: Backyard BBQ (Lansdowne, PA)
2nd place: Secret Sauce (Havertown, PA)
3rd place: Backyard All-Stars BBQ Team (Langhorne, PA)
Honorable mentions: Smokin’ Ain’t Easy (Drexel Hill, PA)
Tiny’s BBQ (West Chester, PA)
Restaurant Division
2nd place: Le Cochon Noir (Philadelphia, PA)
3rd place: Bomb Bomb BBQ Grill (Philadelphia, PA)
Honorable mentions: Carolina Blue (Pitman, NJ)
Rosey’s BBQ (Jenkintown, PA)
Garry's Rib-Off (both divisions compete together for a trip to the 2010 World Series)
Winner: Smokin’ Ain’t Easy (Drexel Hill, PA)
Runners up: Nice Racks (Philadelphia, PA)
Lazy River Barbecue (Franklinville, NJ)

Back