MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Trunks
Take a breath!

Default WSM coal methods!

just wondering what everyone who has a WSM uses as far as a caol method?

do you add hot coals as needed? sneak methond, minion method?

i have 22.5 and either go with minion method or add hot coals as needed if i am hanging around having beers and relaxing near the smoker all day/ which i like.... i prefer to hang around and watch the process ha as apposed to putting on going to bed and waking up to it nearing the end

anyways let see what every 1 does on here
Trunks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Minion

Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

I always cook with the Minion Method.

What I am cooking and how long I anticipate it to take determine how much unlit I add to the ring and how much lit I dump on top.

Usually that means a full load of briqs and chunks in the ring, low in the middle, with a nearly full chimney (before lighting) of lit dumped on top. My WSMs are older, and use the smaller water pan so there are no clearance issues.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"

Last edited by Harbormaster; 08-07-2014 at 02:27 PM..
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Minion method. I usually fill the ring with unlit briquettes (preferably Stubbs) and then dump half to a full chimney of lit briqs on top. I then spread the lit briqs around using welding gloves. I'll put 3-4 chunks of wood in there too. Usually hickory, sometimes cherry.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

I use a thin layer of Stubbs briquettes and then the rest is royal oak lump and chunks of flavor wood scattered amongst the lump.

(no water in a char diamond lined and foiled pan)
If I'm cooking under 275 I light less than half a chimney of Stubbs and place on the center top of the unlit lump. Assemble the wsm with all vents wide open and place the lid on after about a minute. Once the temp gets to within 25 degrees of where I wanna be I start shutting vents down(never the lid vent) and ease into the temperature I want to cook at. WAIT for thin blue smoke before placing the meat on...no matter how long it takes. Your nose will tell you even more than your eyes. If you can't stand to be around your WSM's exhaust....you won't be able to stand the food that comes out of it.

If I'm cooking over 275 I light just under 3/4 of a chimney and repeat all the previous steps.

If for some reason it looks like I'm going to run out of fuel(cook takes more than 10-12 hours) I simply bite the bullet and finish in the preheated oven. I hate adding fuel to the wsm and consider the oven my penance for piss poor planning on my part.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

I use the Minion method for long cooks, but when doing chicken and other meats I want done quickly for home cooks, I use the traditional method of just adding lit coals.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Minion here as well. Depending on the length of the cook I'll add more or less coal to start with.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

I always use the Minion method and a clay pot base instead of water. Temps are easy to control, burn time is excellent and cleanup is easy.
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team www.blazinbuttz-bbq.com
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I always cook with the minion method.

What I am cooking and how long I anticipate it to take determine how much unlit I add to the ring and how much lit I dump on top.

Usually that means a full load of briqs and chunks in the ring, low in the middle, with a nearly full chimney (before lighting) of lit dumped on top. My WSMs are older, and use the smaller water pan so there are no clearance issues.
This ^^^^^

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I shake out my fire basket, dump the ash, push the older charcoal to the outside of the basket, and top off with new charcoal. I get out the flame thrower and light either the center briquettes (no ATM) or the briquettes in front of the ATM vent.

I have never cooked anything that took longer than a full fire basket holds. Yet.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

For those who use the minion method. Do you have issues with temp spikes when the smoke wood catches? I have had that issue lately, where the smoke wood catches, and the temp spikes as high as 270. I usually cook right between 225-235
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Minion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I always cook with the minion method.

Usually that means a full load of briqs and chunks in the ring, low in the middle, with a nearly full chimney (before lighting) of lit dumped on top.

OK minion isn't just dumping coals on top. I prefer just lighting the side of the basket no matter what smoker it is and letting the coals burn across. There's multiple benefits to this.

Here is one of my baskets after a cook, there's partial burnt and non burned.

I shake out the ash and stack the new basket most burnt to least or unburnt

Add new next to that

Lastly light the partial burn on the next cook

The partial lights easier and gives good smoke right way, you keep good even heat because there's not old mixed together with new, and there's never any waste. Minion only means lit coals lighting unlit but how you burn your basket matters also.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I usually cook around 270*. Never really pay any attention to the temps unless my Maverick screams at me. I usually have it set for a 250* - 310* range. As long as it is in that window, the food is fine...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpetro97 View Post
For those who use the minion method. Do you have issues with temp spikes when the smoke wood catches?
I don't watch temps close enough to worry. Once I get the WSMs settled in at 250-275, I ignore them until it's time to start thinking about meat 'doneness'. A spike of a few degrees won't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
OK minion isn't just dumping coals on top.
Yup. There are different ways to do Minion.
Some use a coffee can open on both ends in the middle or on one side.
Some use a weed burner to start one side.
I create a depression in the middle of my unlit and dump the lit coals into the depression. I have always gotten consistent results this way.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
thesemicullen
Full Fledged Farker

Minion as well. I always use a full ring of charcoal. I pick up the charcoal grate and shake the ash off the old coals, dump the ash out of the bottom, and refill the ring with new coals. I put 3-4 chunks in with the coals. How hot a fire I want determines how much lit I pour on top, but it's usually around half a chimney.

I use water in my pan because I don't care mind the cleanup and I never have an issue with temp spikes when I do.