MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #91
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice review JM. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #92
that's hot
On the road to being a farker

great review and video's thanks JM .

M

char griller & side firebox
weber 22.5 kettle
custom built brute
UDS
super fast Cheetah Thermapen
that's hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #93
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
What makes the BK so heavy? At 90lbs that would put the BK at over 150? Thats about what the large egg weighs.
I wonder if the keg has more insulation. This wouldn't make up the whole weight difference, but may contribute. Powerpig said his CGK was hot to the touch when he hit 700 degrees. I've been way higher than 700 degrees on my keg and it's only been slightly warm to the touch.

Thanks for the review on the char-griller. Looks like a winner. I think the only variable left is how it holds up over time.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #94
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

Darn good review JM.

I've never been a Char-Griller fan due to build quality (I've owned two of their offsets in the past), but it really looks like they hit a home run this time out with the CGK. I'm not really looking for a kamado style cooker, but if I ever do I'll probably go the CGK route thanks to the price. Keep up the good work my friend and thanks for the videos.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #95
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Menards Kooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyt View Post
I decided my Lang needed a baby sister after watching your videos, just picked one up at Menards for $279 with a $30 rebate. they also had Royal oak lump for $5.88 for 8.8lb bag, got 2. Thanks for the review. This thing is huge
Hey Garyt, I've been looking at that deal too. Did yours come with the stainless or powder coated top vent? And what are the tables made of? The one on display near me looks like it might be last years model with the stainless vent.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #96
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Thanks JM I will have to go look at one of these.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #97
pinkelephant
Full Fledged Farker

nice smoke ring on that butt. it looked good.

I like the 3rd vid. I didn't watch all of 1 and skipped 2. (slow internet here)

I can afford this one but if I have 3 UDS's configured for hot grillin and "low and slow", what will this thing be doing that I'm not already doing.
I'm not complaning, just need convincing.

I see your exhaust was almost closed. is that a kamado thing? I always thought that was not good. Also, the UDS trick to temp control is to only start a few coals and let the temp rise to where you need it. I think you got too much fire going before you tried to control it. Just my 2 cents, I know nothing about eggs.

in your UDS, if you use charcoal, use RO. kingsford has a smelly problem when cooking low-n-slow. I have about 15 bags left of kingsford. I stock up during the summer sales but I only use it for grillin.

nice vid. I haven't gotten logged back into youtube since they required me to get a google account. I need to get around to it.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #98
topsideup
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Really good video series ! The butt looked great and the charcoal usage was impressive. Thanks for sharing you info with us. Now if my local Lowes will only get some of these Kamadoes in !!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #99
gooffy140
Knows what a fatty is.

Great vids. Hope to see more soon.

I answered your post on my tread.

Gooffy140
gooffy140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #100
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkelephant View Post

I can afford this one but if I have 3 UDS's configured for hot grillin and "low and slow", what will this thing be doing that I'm not already doing.
I'm not complaning, just need convincing.
Probably nothing significant if you are happy with what you are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkelephant View Post
I see your exhaust was almost closed. is that a kamado thing? I always thought that was not good. Also, the UDS trick to temp control is to only start a few coals and let the temp rise to where you need it. I think you got too much fire going before you tried to control it. Just my 2 cents, I know nothing about eggs.
Using the combination of top and bottom vent control gives you finer control over the airflow into the cooker. I have read stuff about leaving vents all the way open on top too, but IMO most of them don't hold much water unless you never want to clean out your cooker. The concern is of creosote buildup on the inside of the cooker. That's something you can visually monitor and deal with it if needed.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #101
Hozman
Take a breath!

I noticed in the video that you placed the cooking grate in after you reached temp. Is this a personal preference or a reason behind doing it. I would just have it in the cooker while it went to temp. Still learning.....

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #102
Garyt
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdad1 View Post
Hey Garyt, I've been looking at that deal too. Did yours come with the stainless or powder coated top vent? And what are the tables made of? The one on display near me looks like it might be last years model with the stainless vent.

Thanks.

The side shelves are made of wood and the top vent is powder coated.
Garyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #103
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
I noticed in the video that you placed the cooking grate in after you reached temp. Is this a personal preference or a reason behind doing it. I would just have it in the cooker while it went to temp. Still learning.....
I don't think it matters much one way or the other.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #104
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

Saw one at Lowes, very clever design. (yes I know its a metal egg) The versatility of it will clearly give Weber some competition. With Weber you have to have both a Kettle and a WSM to do the same things this appears to do. I am starting to think these guys might have built a better mousetrap.
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #105
Patrickkva
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for taking the time to post this series of videos. It's remarkable how shut the vents were during your butt cook. Do you think the open slats in the bottom vent (where the numbers are) are allowing the air to flow in? It certainly looks rock solid on holding the temp though, even if that is the case.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blazing Blue Thermapen[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#2e8b57]BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]
MABA Member
Patrickkva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado