MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
comfrank
On the road to being a farker

Default sliced point?

Has anyone ever entered sliced brisket point (not flat)? The reason I ask is that earlier in the summer we were at a non-KCBS event where cubes of point were explicitly prohibited--not because of "point" but because of "cubes". The only thing allowed in the box were slices. Cubed, shredded, pulled, and chopped were all prohibited. I cooked a full packer, and as we were preparing to make the box my wife suggested that we try slicing the point.

I had the whole point in front of me and tried slicing it. As you can imagine, many of the slices were pretty mangled. We did end up getting seven slices that looked great but were only about 4 inches long! So we pushed the point away and began working on the flat. As it turns out, there was a "break" through most of the length of the flat that prevented us from getting full-length slices. Other than the break, the flat did not seem to be overcooked and the slices had great tenderness, but were not long enough. We could only get about seven or eight slices long enough for turn in. But, as this was a no-garnish contest, seven slices of brisket, though legal, looked pretty lonely in an otherwise empty box.

Then, my wife had a great idea. She said let's put the full-length slices in the back of the box, and take the seven short point slices and put them in the front of the box on the left. Then we took some of the short slices from the part of the flat with the break, trimmed them to match the length of the point slices, and put them in the front of the box on the right. We ended up with a full box that included both point and flat, and our hope was that the point and flat looked different enough that the judges would recognize what they were and take one of each, rather than thinking "Why did they cut their slices in two?"

It must of worked because we placed 2nd, but it was a very small field so I don't want to put too much stock in that. I was just curious if anyone ever did anything like this and how it worked out.

Thanks,
--frank in Wilson, NY

Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

I've never turned in point other than as burnt ends nor would I unless I absolutely had to. I do know someone who turned in sliced point and got a top 5 call in a 30 something team field. He only did it because his flat was junk.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Did it once in an IBCA contest, very small contest only 7 teams. It took 1st and I got GC due to a tie and the Brisket score was the tie breaker.

BigMista reminded me on the way to judging Dana Point last saturday that he got 2nd in his 1st Contest for brisket...it was that contest!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Born2Smoke

We just started slicing the point at our last 2 comps (Hudson Valley Ribfest and Que By The Sea) took 1st and second... We use a small chunk of the point and trim it up to look like a money muscle, about 6-8 inches long and 2 inches wide. Then we slice it about 1 inch thick. Hasn't failed us yet.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
comfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Smoke View Post
We just started slicing the point at our last 2 comps (Hudson Valley Ribfest and Que By The Sea) took 1st and second... We use a small chunk of the point and trim it up to look like a money muscle, about 6-8 inches long and 2 inches wide. Then we slice it about 1 inch thick. Hasn't failed us yet.
Interesting idea. I'm cooking some brisket for a tailgating get together, and I might try that to see if I can do it.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Smoke View Post
Care to share a picture of this?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Born2Smoke

Cool Frank...let me know how it turns out. Hint, try to find the meatiest piece of point and then trim it up. Be sure to leave some bark on the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfrank View Post
Interesting idea. I'm cooking some brisket for a tailgating get together, and I might try that to see if I can do it.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

If you watch closely in one of the Season 1 Pitmasters episodes, I saw Johnny slicing a brisket point. Not sure if he turned it in, but he was slicing it.

I've never done it, but if you can get the right piece, it would trump a slice of good flat in moisture content.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
Born2Smoke

Sled,
I'll have to ask Dan or Dana if they have pics from Seaside. I def dont have anything from Hudson Valley. I'll get back to you. We may be at New London and if so I can show you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Care to share a picture of this?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Born2Smoke

Kev,
That's just it, we find the perfect piece of meaty flat, trim it up and slice away. It is by far tastier and juicier than any slice of flat we put in our box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kev View Post
If you watch closely in one of the Season 1 Pitmasters episodes, I saw Johnny slicing a brisket point. Not sure if he turned it in, but he was slicing it.

I've never done it, but if you can get the right piece, it would trump a slice of good flat in moisture content.