• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I wanna hug my butcher

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Local butcher here still breaks down 4 or so sides of beef a week. I can get any cut my mind can think of. This is how get my 5-7 pound trimmed packers, he cuts them off the carcass. There's only 2 butchers I know of in this area that do this. The majority get all their beef pre cut in boxes.

They didn't have any mini packers today so the only brisket available was in a cryovac and 12 lbs. I didn't want one that large and didn't want to pay for the fat (don't know why the trimmed brisket from the carcass is the same cost per pound). Well they cut the toe side of the flat off for me and sold me the half with the point. They even trimmed some of the fat off the cap because I didn't want to pay for the waste.

Places like this are getting hard to come across.

Here's what I scored, 7 lbs of goodness.

IMG_20140301_155802_zpswhul0zyp.jpg
[/URL]

He would be my best Buddy, I cook for me and I wont touch a brisket less than 12lb after I trim it. I guess it's a Texas thang.

He would be my best Buddy, I cook for me and I wont touch a brisket less than 12lb after I trim it. I guess it's a Texas thang.

Not just a Texas thing. I prefer briskets that are around 15 lbs before trimming. O feel that they come out better and if I'm going to take the time to fire up the pit and cook I may as well make it worth my while. Leftover brisket has a lot of uses.

Nice service. What did you pay per lb for the extra knife work?

No extra. The cost for brisket is high, but normally trimmed of excess (and small in size, but that works for me). He didn't weight it until after he trimmed the fat cap for me. I don't think that was normal but he wasn't gonna let me walk. I've never had a butcher do that before.

The price is high 3.99/lbs for cab. But that's normally 6 pounds of edible packer for 24 bucks, something I can afford to do and it doesn't take to long. I can hit eastern market but can't get a brisket that small anywhere else.

I wish I could find a real butcher around here, all chain stores. Nice hunk of goodness you got.

Ummm pretty sure that anything that came out of a cryovac came out of a box.

Ummm pretty sure that anything that came out of a cryovac came out of a box.

He butchers several sides a week. This is not his whole inventory. Cryovac primal cuts are available and are a fair price. In the case are roast and cuts not found at wallys or Meijer or rd.

He butchers several sides a week. This is not his whole inventory. Cryovac primal cuts are available and are a fair price. In the case are roast and cuts not found at wallys or Meijer or rd.

^^^^I hate to quote myself but I already stated they sell more than just the Butcher sides.

U

^^^^I hate to quote myself but I already stated they sell more than just the Butcher sides.

You didn't mention that in the OP and post quoted yourself. You contradicted yourself in the OP and gave the impression that your mini packers are cut fresh as is the cryovac.

Makes me question if he is just an out of the box like any other these days.

Cheers

No contradiction, if he butchers 2 cows that week he only has 4 mini briskets max. He does carry cryovacs too.

No contradiction, if he butchers 2 cows that week he only has 4 mini briskets max. He does carry cryovacs too.

Maybe not intentional on the meaning but "packer" came out of a packed box and not fresh cut mini packer. I would love to see pics of these sides that don't come out of a box.

What slaughter house does it come from. Not gonna argue but any good shop will give you any cut to order out of a factory farm box.

Cheers

Back