MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Default Simple right? Not for me!!

OK...I have always struggled to properly open a bag of lump/charcoal. Now I'm getting ticked!!! Why can I not open a fatty package without leaving some on the package!! My question....what is the easiest way to open a fatty fellas? I know....I know...just worked late and not much sleep..
NOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

I make an almost full circle cut at one end and a long cut down the side. Carefully peel the end piece where I make the almost full circle cut and then peel it down the length. I then use my knife to smooth over the cuts.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Using a VERY sharp knife, I cut both ends where they're cinched together, then make a cut lengthwise down the entire roll. Simply peel off the plastic. Make sure your sausage is cold.

Yes, I said that.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Using a VERY sharp knife, I cut both ends where they're cinched together, then make a cut lengthwise down the entire roll. Simply peel off the plastic. Make sure your sausage is cold.

Yes, I said that.
Haha!! I'm good at half arising to get it done quick. I'll try that. Every time I try to take my time opening a fatty or a bag of lump carefully.....paying attention....I FARK IT UP RIPPING THE BAG!!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
peeps

I just use a knife or scissors on charcoal bags. That damn string thing never unravels like they used to...
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I toss the sausage in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before opening. It helps keep the log in tact. I also slice off one end where it's crimped and slice lengthwise all the way down, then carefully peel off the plastic wrap. There is always a bit of "sculpting" involved to get the log back in near perfect condition though.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Yes, I said that.
+1, i basically do the same thing the colder the easier.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This is your biggest problem in life?
Congrats.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
deguerre

I use kitchen shears to snip off the two crimps then ease the blades slowly down the length of the chub until it reveals it's naughty secrets to me...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Congrats.
Ed
Naw sir...you see Ed....I did not mean to make sound like it was the end of the world. I was bored and waiting for the pit come up to temp.....ticked about the dang fatty wrap....and little sleep. I don't worry about much though. And....its the simple things in life man? Just checkin how everyone else opened charcoal and fatty sacks? I hope you were being silly?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post

I use kitchen shears to snip off the two crimps then ease the blades slowly down the length of the chub until it reveals it's naughty secrets to me...
THATS ME GUERRY!!!! ALL THUMBS! NIIIICCCCCEEE!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
I toss the sausage in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before opening. It helps keep the log in tact. I also slice off one end where it's crimped and slice lengthwise all the way down, then carefully peel off the plastic wrap. There is always a bit of "sculpting" involved to get the log back in near perfect condition though.
Thanks El Ropo. I'll try the freezing idea. And......just so you know.....I'm now cooking "El Ropo style". as we speak!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Congrats.
Ed
I don't know if its lack of sleep Ed but this rubbed me wrong? If it was jest I'm sorry I'm grumpy. We are good. I was just seeing how everyone opened them? Nap time for me......sorry. And....you have Seniority over me here...but you subscription is expired. Just saying. I'm sorry....nap time.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

+1...cold is key.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
caseydog

Quote:

Yes, I said that.
That is what I do, too, but using kitchen scissors. Once those end crimps are off, the wrapper becomes a long tube that can be cut lengthwise, and peeled off.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote